Stories

The Limits of Control

So… Traveling is good, and to be stylish while doing it, even better, but what’s left of my style after two long weeks of hotel rooms ? …It’s simple, it’s a total mess.

This time I had:
+ The idea of the century: instead of picking out all my outfits before hand for the two weeks to come and get that little surcharge on all my bags, here’s the idea: I’ll use the hotel laundry service!

Whoa!  Recycling outfits. I’m. A. Genius.

No sooner said than done. I sent a little package of dirty laundry down and then that night, on my bed I find all my clothes, good as new, folded and starched à l’italienne. The idea of the century, I’m telling you! Wahooooo partaAAaay! It’s almost enough to get out a mini bottle of Jack Daniel’s. Pure joy coming through, I roll around in my new clothes.

And then I feel something get stuck on my cheek. I take a look at it and yeah, now I REALLY NEED that mini bottle of Jack Daniel’s. “Whaaaaatttt??? 87€ for a handful of T-shirts?” Shit. I’m going to need to Macgyver-ize my own little laundry service. Yep, that’s what I’ll do.

+ The idea of the century (II) : So I put together my little personal laundry service and wash my underwear listening to Boom Boom Boom by Black Eyes Peas in the background. Once they’re clean, I hang them up on the shower rod and since I never do anything half-assed, I get out my hair-dryer and put it up to the highest setting aimed right at my panties. In five minutes, home-made laundry service à l’italienne thanks be to Fergie Garance. I close the door to the bathroom because the hair-dryer is a noisy little booger, and I dance to My Humps. I dance dance dance and then… Boom Boom Boom… I smell something burning. I sprint into the bathroom where I find my panties completely dry, awesome. Except for one = MELTED. That’ll teach me to get my panties at H&M.

+ The Idea of the century (III) : Instead of packing my entire wardrobe like usual, summer clothes for Rio and snow pants in case we get the idea for a little ski trip to Courchevel in between Milan and Paris*, I’ll just have to, me, Gaga, princess of menswear, lover of all my man’s button-downs, pants and coats, go sneaking around in his bag for outfits!!! Genius! Wahooo!!!! Share a suitcase = idea of the century.

No sooner said than done. I give total credit to my personal mantra: A pair of heels saves all.** And so one day, with absolutely no inspiration from my clothes, I got out some pants, a button-down, and a jacket out of his bag and put all of it on (+me = quite a lot.) top of 6 inches of heels in hopes of getting something new across. “Yves Saint Laurent created Le Smoking tuxedo jacket revolutionizing style and Garance reinterpreted it in the year 2010 in the bathrooms of Milan in a creative storm Janie Samet later made into a best seller a called, Garance and Style: The Story of a Genius Losseuse.”

Perched on the toilet seat to see my reflection (beautiful room, but a few vital pieces missing, my friends: a full length mirror, power outlets, and M&Ms in the mini-bar), and I smile big, and that’s when the man from whom I stole my lovely outfit walked right in.

“What are you doing standing on the toilet? Come on… And what’s with this outfit? You look like the old Italian guy I just shot, but in heels. Are you ok? Do we need to talk?”

So he cracked up laughing, but still… I flash a knowing look to the spirit if Yves Saint Laurent (“It’s good my friend, you can sleep in peace, it won’t be tomorrow that we’ll reinvent Le Smoking tuxedo jacket.”) and I change.

Voilà.  I’ll stop now because I don’t have much battery left on my computer and THERE ARE NO POWER OUTLETS IN THE TRAIN FROM PARIS TO MILAN and also because THIS TEXT IS TERRIFYING LONG, IT’S NOT LIKE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO DO BUT READ BLOGS, but if you want, I can tell you about the more beautiful side of that downfall. It’s worth a few knots in my hair.

——–

* Hey, we all can dream.

** You gotta read chapter 1 = A tube of lipstick saves all, and stop right now believing everything I say!

*** Yep, as I’m writing you from my train, I’m in between Milan and Paris, and you know what my biggest fear is each time I get home? Standing on my scale!!! I’m living in a weight limbo, this is one of the nightmares from my traveling lifestyle. Whoever first invents a portable scale, I will love you forever.

Translation : Tim Sullivan

• The Everyday Heel
    The Everyday Heel
  • Le Ballet Dries
    Le Ballet Dries
  • For the Girls
    For the Girls
  • Giorgia
    Giorgia

• FRENCHICK January, 21 2010, 8:15 / Reply

Décidément je ne me lasse pas de tes textes de bon matin.
    Même avant de débuter ma journée, pèlerinage furtif obligé ici.

Bisous!

? http://www.frenchick.fr

• lienbee January, 21 2010, 8:15

Garance please,

make them longer, I looove reading your blog, you make me laugh out loud…
    in the train, with other people, who look at me to see if i am insane!!

X

• Garance January, 21 2010, 8:25 / Reply

Alors tant mieux et merci parce que j’ai l’impression que mon texte est légèrement incompréhensible… Non ? Bisou !

• San January, 21 2010, 8:29 / Reply

Le versant beauté, quand tu veux :)
    Finalement, devoir être une bête de mode 24h/24, c’est plus fatigant que ce que j’imaginais …
    Bon, mais idéalement, ce qu’il faudrait, c’est de s’habiller local quand on voyage.
    Une nouvelle garde-robe par ville, envoyée à toi-même par colis avant le départ, le rêve non ?

• Olivia (à Paris) January, 21 2010, 8:30 / Reply

J’adooorree tes billets qui racontent tes pérégrinations, je te vois troppp debout sur la cuvette !! Moi je suis sûre que tu l’avais graaavvee réinterprété le smock’, je suis sûre que tu devais être absolument divine, peut être que tout simplement, le monde n’était pas prêt…:) Bises!

• Cynthia January, 21 2010, 8:32 / Reply

Pour la balance portative, je suis preneuse, parce que même, enfin..surtout en vacances, je peux pas m’empêcher à chaque fois que je goute un truc, de penser à la mienne à mon retour.Et, je me demande toujours, si les 2 kilos en plus, c’est du “vrai”, ou si c’est elle qui est en mode”je me venge parce que t’es pas venu me rendre visite une fois, en 2 semaines!!!”
    Sinon, le look YSL sur la cuvette…un grand moment dis moi, Monsieur a dû se marrer..Les gars doivent vraiment nous prendre pour des allumés parfois..souvent!
    Le mien , il à décider de plus chercher à comprendre.
    Bonne journée, bon retour.t’as la combi, il neige par içi.

• cathy January, 21 2010, 8:32 / Reply

mdr, j’imagine !!!! et j’ai voyagé du siège de mon bureau, trop fort !!!

bizzz

• FRENCHICK January, 21 2010, 8:32 / Reply

Ahah, si tel est le cas je décrypte l’incompréhensible, chose que j’ignorais :)). j’ai beaucoup ri avec tes idées du siècle ! Je trouve que l’idée du pressing était bonne mais hors de l’hôtel peut-être pour limiter les frais…
    Et puis je suis sûre que tu étais canon dans ton look boyish à talons ! J’aurais bien aimé avoir une photo de toi en train de te scruter dans le miroir ! :)

Bisous

• maths&jasmin January, 21 2010, 8:34 / Reply

ouhouhouh ihihihih ahahahahah
    les radiateurs seche serviette des hôtels sont super pour faire sécher les culottes, chaussettes ou autres t shirt de sport dont on fait la mini lessive avec les mini savons dans le lavabo…
    je me dis toujours que les femmes de chambre qui passent 50 fois par jour ne doivent pas comprendre comment on peut venir dans un bon hôtel et laver ses culottes, mais ce petit moment de honte est vite passé face aux hallucinantes factures de blanchisserie!!!!
    Je suis sûre que tu étais jolie habillée en mec sur des talons.

• Guia January, 21 2010, 8:36 / Reply

ahaha moi j’adore quand tu publies des hisotires où on te vois en plein action, avec fondue de culotte H&m…
    c’est vraiment trop drole ! je me demdais comme tu faisait avec tous ses déplacements dans des pays et saisons différentes à avoir les bon trucs en valise !
    au lieu de la balance portatile , je te conseille d’amener ton pantalon/balance, celui qui te va pile poile, et quand tu sens que ça serre…pesce bollito e verdure !:-)

• Alison January, 21 2010, 8:40 / Reply

When my husband and I were working in Singapore for a couple of months for another music production company, I hand washed mostly and found an on street laundry service but was completely shocked when the hotel laundry bill came for over $1800. It was a flash hotel but really …. luckily our employer paid … no questions asked!

• Cameron January, 21 2010, 8:43 / Reply

This brought a smile to my face, ma chérie, and I can’t wait for your “Idea of the Century (IV).”

Also: My condolences for your melted panty. It lived a good life, then went out in a blaze of glory. Vaya con Dios, Garance’s H&M panty.

• flou January, 21 2010, 8:44 / Reply

mais c’est que t’as de sacrées bonnes idées marrantes toi! faire fondre ses culottes en chantant et se mirer dans la cuvette des wc, c’est pas commun tout ça…

• Sputnik Sweetheart January, 21 2010, 8:47 / Reply

Garance, you are so adorable :)

• N. January, 21 2010, 8:51 / Reply

J’adore, j’adore, j’adore!!!!!!!!

• Emy Lee January, 21 2010, 8:51 / Reply

Le Flou ponderal, j adore….

• lily January, 21 2010, 8:51 / Reply

Je connais bien ce genre de problème pour vivre comme Cadet Rousselle, avec mes trois maisons. J’ai la chance que ce ne soient pas des hôtels: je peux y laisser quelques vêtements et une paire de chaussures pour me dépanner. Mais chaque changement de saison entraîne des rotations complexes de garde-robe.
    Le vieux monsieur sur des talons de 12, j’adore ;-)

• Margarita January, 21 2010, 8:51 / Reply

I love travelling but I hate bringing a lot of luggage too! It’s such a downer to have two or three suitcases when trying to quickly run through a town, no no, just one suitcase for me, very tight packing and perhaps the odd bathtub laundry…

• Garance January, 21 2010, 8:53 / Reply

Wooohooo merci !!! Je me suis relue ce matin en me disant… Non mais n’importe quoi !!! En même temps ce genre de grands moments de solitude (culotte fondue…) j’en ai tt le temps vu qu’à chaque nouvel endroit il faut que je m’adapte. Des histoires d’hôtel, j’en ai des tas !
    :-)

• Life of A French Fashionista in Milano January, 21 2010, 8:54 / Reply

Ce billet est tellement drole!

L’expérience fashionistique est toujours un peu mal vu par ces hommes, je le craint, qui ne comprennent pas souvent notre avant-gardisme ;)

(Sinon, les culottes H&M sèchent assez mieux en une nuit chrono toute seule, donc pas besoin d’utiliser de sèche-cheveux!)

• nathi January, 21 2010, 8:55 / Reply

Si si si on a que ça à faire, surtout quand c’est aussi drôle et prenant. Trop long? pas du tout, je pourrai lire un livre entier de tes histoires de voyages!!

• Geneviève @ Oxalydes January, 21 2010, 8:57 / Reply

Excellent et j’adore ce dessin ! Je me sens un peu moins agacée d’avoir hésité sans conviction devant mon armoire, ce matin… à la maison !!

• Sunny Side January, 21 2010, 8:59 / Reply

T’as le scénario d’une bande dessinée !!! Un chapître “Garance voyage … en Italie … parce qu’en plus des 12 sur le couvercle des toilettes faut le faire !

• Perbandt Girl January, 21 2010, 9:00 / Reply

Garance, on a pas que ça à faire de lire des blogs, mais on arrête toute activité pour lire le récit de tes aventures! J’ai ADORE ce billet, merci de me faire commencer la journée comme ça! Je t’ADORE Garance! (désolée j’ai fait ma fan hystérique). Bonne journée!

• Gaëlle January, 21 2010, 9:05 / Reply

Superbe recit, moi ça ne me dérange en rien de te lire sur des pages ! Ce qui me chagrine en revanche, ce sont les Black Eye Peas… :-)

• Anne ChicAndGeek January, 21 2010, 9:06 / Reply

Bonjour Garance !
    Quelle fougue et quelle énergie déborde de ce billet… j’en suis boostée pour ma marinée ménage hebdomadaire. merci !
    Ton texte est évidemment très compréhensible et drôle… la chicklit de qualité comme je l’aime, à la Kinsella par exemple (si ça se trouve tu détestes, mais de ma part, c’est un compliment et si tu écris du Jane Austen demain, tu deviens mon auteur préféré devant les deux susnommées).
    Je t’embrasse parce que mon fidèle destrier (aka aspirateur) m’attend.
    A bientôt
    Anne
    PS :
    *** j’ai vraiment crû que tu étais enceinte et j’allais te mettre en garde contre le Jack Daniels ;) mais c’est bon, lâche toi ! Et qui se pèse ? est-ce que les formes ne sont pas le nouveau noir ?

• Mary January, 21 2010, 9:09 / Reply

Oh Garance, you are darling! :)
    I love your Ideas of the Century.

• Garance January, 21 2010, 9:13 / Reply

Aaaaah merci :-)

Thanks so much !

So happy you are not scared by my crazy stories….

• Ammu January, 21 2010, 9:14 / Reply

Ha ha! What a shame about the melted panties :( This must be one of my favourite posts by you – you are fantastic and so funny!

• Jeltjie January, 21 2010, 9:17 / Reply

Dear Garance. I would happily read ALL of your text and I really wish you would write a book so I can buy 10 copies and give to everyone. Please. xo

• Lovely Olivia January, 21 2010, 9:28 / Reply

there are also some disposable underwear that are not that bad: use it and bin it! no stress about washing and leave room for other stuff you will get on the way.
    And you may be able to pick up some new pieces in train stations, airports. etc. just strange, crazy, little things you would not wear while at home but when you are travelling the work wonders!

Lovely Olivia

• anna January, 21 2010, 9:32 / Reply

ce qui va t’arriver c’est que bientôt on va te voir dans une pub pour un ordinateur en transit pour Tokyo, et en débarquant de la limo qui t’amènes à leur site hi tech, une foultitude de petits savants va te faire monter sur un écran d’ordi et le monde entier saura combien tu pèses ! et tu diras : je suis Grarance et l’ordi pèse personne c’etait mon idée…
    (j’espère que t’as un Mac)

• Garance January, 21 2010, 9:33 / Reply

Lovely Olivia : I do buy funny stuff on the way ! Too many I guess ;-)

Thanks for the text !!! Makes me happy what you say Jeltjie & Ammu ;-)

• Garance January, 21 2010, 9:34 / Reply

Mouahaha Anna trop fort ;-)
    OUI!!!!

• Fefe Carioca January, 21 2010, 9:34 / Reply

A la maison je fais la vaisselle en dansant au son de Boom Boom Boom !! Toi tu lave tes culottes… comme quoi les Black Eyed Peas nous aident à faire les taches menageres moins glam du monde !! hahaha
    Trop fort Garance ! J’adore !

• samuel January, 21 2010, 9:38 / Reply

Salut Garance

Je consulte pas mal de blog de mode depuis pas mal de temps et je me decide pour la premiere fois a te laisser un commentaire.

Il faut que je te dise que tes articles autant que tes photos sont (presque!)(je suis franc jusqu’au bout !) toujours très juste.

Même aujourd’hui où au debut de la lecture on ne sait pas trop où tu vas aller (je me demande si tu le sais toi même !), au final tu te livres , et en prime tu arrives quand même à nous parler de la Mode, la vrai – si tant est qu’il y en ai une fausse! mais ce serait trop long… Peut être dans autre message -

Bref Je te dis Bravo

• Carolina Fonseca January, 21 2010, 9:38 / Reply

Lovely Garance-
    You = Genius + I love the way you write.
    Merci for writing xx
    C

• Little L. January, 21 2010, 9:45 / Reply

Tu vois Garance c’est ça qu’on aime par ici (il me semble), c’est cette simplicité à raconter des histoires toutes plus farfelues les unes que les autres (toutes entièrement véridiques va savoir mais on s’en fout c’est même pas le problème ! Tout comme le fait de savoir si c’est compréhensible ou pas, on s’en fout ! ^^) mais avec une telle simplicité. En fait, on dirait la copine d’à côté, le potin du café, on croit tous te connaître aussi bien que ta meilleure amie/ton homme avec ce que tu écris.
    C’est cette simplicité qui me touche en tout cas et qui fait que je ne me lasse pas que tu sois “shallow”. Ou pas. Continue et écris, shoot, c’est beau, c’est bon, c’est agréable, c’est comme un voyage à domicile (à défaut de pouvoir grimper dans le “Milan-Paris”.) We all stay on board, don’t worry ;)

• Little L. January, 21 2010, 9:51 / Reply

By the way, très bonne cette idée (pêchée dans les précédents commentaires) de livre à écrire :)

• Linda January, 21 2010, 9:53 / Reply

Garance,
    Ton seche cheveu, c’est un chalumeau ?

• Déborah January, 21 2010, 9:54 / Reply

J’adore tes textes et photos (OMG celles du Brésil!!!) !! Ton blog me met de bonne humeur et à chaque fois je me dis que si tu faisais paraitre un recueil de toutes tes chroniques et anecdotes, je serai probablement une des premières à aller (courir) l’acheter!!!
    PS: serais-je passée à côté…? j’ai un doute….
    Bonne journée!!!

• Garance January, 21 2010, 9:56 / Reply

Samuel : Un grand merci !
    Carolina : So sweeeet thanks !
    Little L : T’es un AMOUR !!!

Linda : Mouahaha ! On est tous morts de rire ici : Scott, Chris et moi !!!

• charlotte January, 21 2010, 9:56 / Reply

Mais mais mais…. ton mec, c’est the sartorialist ??????????

• Garance January, 21 2010, 9:57 / Reply

Déborah : merciiii ! Non pas encore de livre… J’ai à peine le tps de m’épiler ^^Je vous raconterais tout qd ça arrivera, un jour peut-être !

• Garance January, 21 2010, 9:57 / Reply

Charlotte : Oui

• Julliete January, 21 2010, 9:58 / Reply

GARANCE, I laughed my little ‘humps’ off! This is seriously one of the funniest posts of you (and you have A LOT) yet. I love that you are a little ‘boom boom boom’ but never think we are sick of reading your blog you crazy woman! We love it.

Have a nice day!

• Sonia-FashionBox January, 21 2010, 9:59 / Reply

Ahhhh merci Garance, moi qui me levait d’un pied grognon, tu m’as redonné le sourire…et oui, il n’y a pas assez de miroir et de prises dans les chambres d’hotel !!! (Mais à quoi pensent il donc ????)

• Elvire January, 21 2010, 10:01 / Reply

Vraiment énorme ce texte, je m’imagine la scène: toi toute excité de ton idée novatrice et ton copain, qui d’un regard tue ta fierté créative. Enorme !

• Flannie January, 21 2010, 10:01 / Reply

Ah mais on veut la photo du smoking réinventé par Garance perchée sur le siège des WC !!!!!!

• Jazmyn January, 21 2010, 10:05 / Reply

When I came to my computer to night, I thought to myself, “another post from Garance? Surely it is a short one, her life cannot be THAT interesting.” Lo and behold, I was wrong yet again. You live such a life, Garance, how do you ever get yourself into so much troubles? You are so dramatic, it brightens my day!!!!
    I have noticed recently there has been a shift in your writings about scott. You+Scott=Love!!!! Not thats it’s any of my buisness.
    xoxo
    Have a lovely train ride back to Paris!!! You tell those scales who is boss!!! He he he

• asian freak January, 21 2010, 10:10 / Reply

Garance,
    J’ai vécue les mêmes désastres:
    - culotte/sèche-cheveux/catastrophe…
    - dilemme valise trop petite/honte de prendre une valise XXL pour un we de 2 jours/ rage de ne pas avoir pris the veste qui va avec les shoes emmenées etc….

Alors maintenant quand je pars plus de 3 jours, j’achète des sous vêtements sur place. Donc venez dans mes placards faire le tour du monde des culottes (NYC, Barcelona, Roma, Budapest and so on).

Bisous Garance et merci pour ce billet (toujours aussi drôle).

• caro January, 21 2010, 10:12 / Reply

L’histoire ne dit pas si tu as eu assez de culotte pour la fin de ton périple. Ne me dis pas que tu as fini en caleçon aujourd’hui ! Non ne me le dis pas.

• renard January, 21 2010, 10:16 / Reply

je vais faire le pénible…je crois que c’est Boom Boom Pow et pas Boom Boom Bomm…;)

• Sara Bianca January, 21 2010, 10:21 / Reply

I totally sympathize with your burned underwear incident. Not so long ago, I was all dressed and late getting out the door (as usual). I decided to have a sip of water before I ran for the cab and… spilled water all over my t-shirt. My brilliant idea to fix the mess was much like yours involving a hairdryer set on high. Great idea until I realized the t-shirt was smoking and what’s worst is that I was still wearing it!! Thankfully I yanked it off and avoided a catastrophe but have never dried anything with a blowdryer since then… at least not while I’m still wearing it :)
    P.S. if you looked anywhere as cool as this drawing you must’ve looked great!

• NathLiban January, 21 2010, 10:21 / Reply

Garance! super super drole ton article!!!!!! Merci d’avoir mis du soleil dans ma journée de travail!

• Marizia January, 21 2010, 10:24 / Reply

C’est du tout-terrain ton texte, Garance, mais tellement inspirant !!¨si si !!

Bonne journée!

• Stéphanie January, 21 2010, 10:24 / Reply

Entre Fonelle et toi on commence toujours bien la journée, comment ça il est 10h14, ben oui j’attends que ma culotte sèche, je n’ai pas de sèche cheveux … ni de talons de 12 … je sais pas quoi mettre !!!
    Belle journée à toi jolie Garance … Tiens le survet de mon mari …

• abi January, 21 2010, 10:30 / Reply

Salam Garance ,

“tiens… C’est quoi cette tenue, on dirait le vieil italien que je viens de shooter, mais sur des talons.”
    Morte de rire!! Hoooooooouuuuhouuuuuuu!!!
    Ma petite princesse me regarde de travers éclater de rire et à son tour éclate de rire avec moi?!!! A t elle compris ???!!!

Continue tes posts dit ” tranche de vie”, j’adooooooOOOOOooore!!
    Sinon, de cheveux bouclés à cheveux bouclés je te conseille l’huile à la lavande de christophe robin, une heure avant ton shampoo, un tout petit peu sur les pointes, bien rincer, pas besoin d’après shampoing ou de masque, cheveux doux , brillants et belle boucles assurées!! et surtout au naturel, oas besoin de coiffant!
    Petite bouteille donc pratique pour voyager.

Bisous et à bientôt Inch’Allah.
    Allah e kemel Bekheir Garance.
    Bisous!!

• Chafouine January, 21 2010, 10:41 / Reply

J’adooore, te lire chaque matin est un vrai plaisir !!

• elle January, 21 2010, 10:42 / Reply

Ohlala!!! I am in the office and I am laughing out loud!!!

• Alexia January, 21 2010, 10:43 / Reply

hihi, quelle galère tout ça! Comme quoi il faut mieux emmener toute sa garde-robe (même si on a plus de dos à l’arrivée!)

• pomdapie January, 21 2010, 10:49 / Reply

J’adore! Merci pour ce récit!

• clo January, 21 2010, 10:49 / Reply

ton texte est p-e long mais en tt cas il est trop drôle!

• jane January, 21 2010, 10:58 / Reply

Moi je retiens que je vais continuer à porter des culottes H&M en talons et à laver mes vestes de smoking dans la salle de bain. Si je suis bien, on peut aussi recharger son Mac grâce à un sèche cheveux?
    WAOUH merci Garance Mc Giver ^^
    PS: texte farpaitement drôle, comme d’habitude!!! MERKI!!!!

• Telai January, 21 2010, 11:13 / Reply

J’adore! OMG I love this post. I laughed my ass off. I’m so happy I came across your site! :)) You are so funny! I love you already!

• carmen January, 21 2010, 11:16 / Reply

vous vivez dans un univers parallèle, à des années lumière des petites galères quotidiennes. malgré cela, je vous adore et vous me faites rire…une femme qui fait rire, c’est chic aussi.

• Juliette January, 21 2010, 11:21 / Reply

C’est vrai que ton texte est long, mais il m’a bien fait rire :) !

• Punky M* January, 21 2010, 11:25 / Reply

Hahaha! I laugh so much with all your posts… I also stoles my boyfriend clothes, he usually don’t say a thing but sometimes give me weird looks… oh, men!

• Kazuko January, 21 2010, 11:29 / Reply

Made my day :D That’s real-life satire!

• petitbobun January, 21 2010, 11:33 / Reply

Billet drolissime !! Quand on part en déplacement, on a tjs envie d’optimiser un max sa valise mais sans pour autant oublier l’essentiel !
    (En tout cas, ingénieuses idées !)

• Margot. January, 21 2010, 11:53 / Reply

Je crois, que décidement je SUR-AIME ton blog :)

• J. Fonte January, 21 2010, 12:03 / Reply

Oh Garance! olalalala, for a second there I thought you were going to tell us your hair dryer exploded and you had to dry your panties with one of those icky hand dryers. I love your ideas of the century. For me, it’s not lipstick, it’s dresses that solve everything. :)

• Georgia January, 21 2010, 12:11 / Reply

Ahck!

Perhaps it is an H&M thing, becase I have set myself on fire TWICE trying to light a cig too close to my oversized men’s H&M sweater…I’m feeling you on two fronts, both love of menswear and distrust of the safety of wearing highly flammable/meltable (is that a word?) clothes.

Being on a budget is evidently not only a bummer, but also dangerous for your health.

Love your blog and have for years now, as do the rest of the americaines au Havre.

xoxoxxxoxo

• Fràz January, 21 2010, 12:33 / Reply

garance, my idea of the century is leave home with almost empty luggage and buy my outfits there! so that, wherever i am, rio or courchevel, i find the right apparel!!! :D
    speaking of boyfriend clothes, you’re lucky because scott’s things fit you, my boyfriend is taller and bigger than me, so i could never put into effect your idea of the century III…! anyway, you are the mirror of us all, women with the suitcase right behind the door. love your blog, always makes me laugh/gives me inspiration/makes me envious…

• Kasia January, 21 2010, 12:35 / Reply

You made my day, Garance, not for the first time :) Loooooooooooooove your sense of humor
    hugs

• mash January, 21 2010, 12:47 / Reply

J adore ton post Garance !!! Comme d habitude drole , leger tout ce qu on aime !!!
    Et perso, je prefere quand c est long !!

• whatdialike January, 21 2010, 12:49 / Reply

il te faut laisser des fringues dans toutes ces villes chez des copines:)

• Emily January, 21 2010, 12:49 / Reply

Oh, Garance. You are just too funny! Your posts always make me smile/laugh. I love it!!

• Anta January, 21 2010, 1:11 / Reply

T’es vraiment trop trop amusant!
    J’ai l’impression de me lire en te lisant !
    Ce qui est surement inquiétant pour l’une de nous deux…

En attendant le prochain post… si j’allais me peser?

• Marie-Charlotte January, 21 2010, 1:22 / Reply

Très joli billet, Garance. J’aime quand tu laisses filer ta plume, ton style devient alors si personnel et si juste…

• Manon January, 21 2010, 1:52 / Reply

Je ne suis donc pas la seule à faire Paris Milan en train?!? :-))

• Sabrina January, 21 2010, 2:00 / Reply

excellent post Garance, but I think that the knowing look you flashed was to the spirit of not if YSL :) just a minor typo :) sorry to be picky abt it but I read it three times and dont’ think it makes sense otherwise :)

• Aurore January, 21 2010, 2:24 / Reply

Garance je crois que sans le savoir tu as pris la résolution d’être vraiment poilante en 2010 :) Et plus je te lis, plus je me vois dans la vie quotidienne. Tes articles sont vraiment plein de bonheur, continues comme ça !
    J’avoue les M&M’s il devrait y en avoir partout franchement… :D

• peperoni January, 21 2010, 2:26 / Reply

HAHAHAH je suis morte de rire. c’est terriblement drôle mais c’est clair!!! où sont les miroirs dans les hôtel??? ils n’y pensent jamais (quoique parfois c’est planqué dans la porte du placard à côté de la table de repassage —> je viens de trouver 2 solutions: blanchisserie(comme ça tu pourras repasser tes culottes + regardage dans le mioir de pied :D)
    bref pour la balance, comme je suis une experte (puisque je le rappelle je me pèse avec mon appareil photo pour bien voir où est positionnée l’aiguille rouge et que je zoom X10) je la transporte aussi en vacances ! depuis que j’ai compris qu’à mes retours de vacs il me fallait un semi remorque et que je pouvais éventuellement être moi même un excédant bagage à moi toute seule ,je la transporte partout,coûte que coûte… elle est ultra slim et ça m’évite la crise de nerfs à mon retour.

• Katrina Denza January, 21 2010, 2:41 / Reply

Bonjour, Garance!

Not only do you have a talent for style and beautiful photos, but you are a natural writer as well. Your blog is fabulous and I enjoy your stories the most!

Katrina

• Maude January, 21 2010, 3:01 / Reply

aaah les hôtels …. ne sont-ils pas remplis de mystères ? :)
    Au fait, on sait toujours pas comment tu as maigri grace à A. wintour ? Elle a mis un brevet dessus ou quoi ? :D
    Bonne journée Garance.

• morgane - leopard legs January, 21 2010, 3:09 / Reply

ohlala, Garance, tes histoires sont tellement marrantes, j’arrive preque à te voir dans toutes ces situations rocambolesques!!!! en tout cas, tu m’as fait bien rire!!!
    tu sais, moi je fais ça depuis longtemps, de “recycler” mes sous-vêtements quand je voyage, je lave tout sous la douche le soir, je met le chauffage, et le matin c’est sec et ça sent bon le Dove fresh touch au concombre :)

morgane

• arasara January, 21 2010, 3:31 / Reply

Tu es vraiment sympa! C’est génial que tu te moques de toi meme! Pas tout le monde arrive à le faire, et je crois qu’il est un des éléments fondamentaux de l’ironie… :) Bisous!

• Alice D. Millionaire January, 21 2010, 3:55 / Reply

this made me laugh uproariously.. at work, not such a good thing. wish i had your job! lovely post, thank you. :)

alice d.

• Clementine January, 21 2010, 4:00 / Reply

Le dessin est joli ?
    Et le seche-cheveux il devait être … PUISSANT :o
    Et prions tous ensemble pour l’installation de bigs mirroirs dans les hôtels, AMEN.

• FASHION SNAG January, 21 2010, 4:01 / Reply

This post made me laugh! I know how expensive, but nice getting your laundry done at hotels can be. The funny part is that your underwear melted. Definitely bad for H & M. Also, I always try to pack super light for trips too so I can’t blame you for packing light and laundering. It is a lot better than lugging a zillion bags around.

• Charlotte January, 21 2010, 4:02 / Reply

T’aurais du voir les hotels que je me suis payée en Thailande !!! La pas de radiateur pour fondre tes culottes… pas de clim non plus :-(( c’est ça d’avoir voulu sortir des sentiers battus !! N’empêche que qd c’est le soir de noel, que tu viens de te taper long tail + bus + mini van et que lorsque tu visite ta chambre le mec te dit “ouvrez pas la porte de la salle de bain, ca fait rentrer les moustiques, tu bade (et tu te fais mal au crane à coup de Singha).
    Bref maintenant je masterize le camp de survit en hotel (comme disait grand mère, ne jamais oublier son savon de marseille)
    Le retour à la civilisation (bangkok) , la maid et le salon de massage ont été plus que salvateurs ;-))))

• Melissa~ January, 21 2010, 4:17 / Reply

I enjoy this stories so much, and I learn too of course, but Garance, everyones know that all the services in a hotel are really expensives, I learn that in my first trip to spain, use your bath for the laundry.
    Thanks for make my day and make me laugh.
    I love youe, Kisses and Hugs!!

• Un samedi... January, 21 2010, 4:43 / Reply

tu es à mourir de rire, j’adore venir me changer les idées ici, me remplir les mirettes!!!

• L'habitué January, 21 2010, 4:54 / Reply

Garance, your laundry adventures made my day! Bisou.

• Rebecca January, 21 2010, 5:01 / Reply

i read in the glamour of you a few months ago. yesterday i read the article again and said to myself i have to go on your blog and there was the surprise of the day: your blog is available in english, too. i was so happy, cause i din’t chose french in school :D
    your texts are super special awesome and the drawings are extremly super-duper special awesome! i love them! from today i check every day after school, whether you write something. that is brighten my day ;)
    by the way: there is a portable scale you can buy at amazon.com: Weight Watchers WW-11D Portable Precision Electronic Scale
    greetings from germany

• Elo Coquette January, 21 2010, 5:12 / Reply

Aaaah Garance… Merci de nous faire partager ton quotidien à coups d’articles non sans humour, de photos absolument magnifiques et de dessins qui laissent rêveur.. Et là, le coup de la blanchisserie foireuse, c’est juste un grand moment de bonheur où on se sent moins seule ! Hahahaha, Merci.

• Princesse Audrey January, 21 2010, 5:37 / Reply

Certains trucs “vitAUX” plutôt que “vitals” : quand on jongle entre différentes langues, on oublie les trucs comme ça (ce n’est pas ironique), ça me le faisait en rentrant d’Angleterre après un mois, à chaque fois.

• MAISON CHAPLIN January, 21 2010, 5:44 / Reply

Non cherie, your texts are very understandable! ;)

@ http://MAISONCHAPLIN.blogspot.com

• Julie January, 21 2010, 6:21 / Reply

ahha chouette le texte,
    si cela intéresse j’expose mon projet art sur ma page
    bises!

• Jessi January, 21 2010, 6:29 / Reply

oh man! i took the train from Milan to Paris, once… it was brutal! You are a champ, Garance!

• clarice January, 21 2010, 6:43 / Reply

Garance, you are THE coolest. period.

• clémence January, 21 2010, 6:58 / Reply

nan nan moi n’ai tout compris! et j’ai bien ri aussi, donc le deal est rempli pour cet article!!

• Vancouverhelen January, 21 2010, 7:15 / Reply

I absolutely agree with Mary – you ARE darling!
    And I must confess, that we’re 2 peas in a pod when it comes to travails of packing, particularly when multiple climes/destinations/activities are involved.
    My poor husband has now put up with 2 packing disasters – to Italy last spring (in my defence, I thought we were also heading over to Morocco. Weighed down with all my luggage,we stayed in Italia the whole time) and Australia/Hawaii which we just returned from. Don’t get me wrong – I LOVE travelling, but packing seems to be getting more and more difficult for me (we ended up buying a 3rd large suitcase, making our total check luggage count = 5 — I think my husband’s contribution fit into one carryon). To make it worse, of the 3 pairs of heels I packed, 2 pairs lost their usefulness within the first 2 days as the plastic lifts came off (thanks Giuseppe Z.) and my $300 hairdryer that I don’t leave home without was fried after 3 minutes (oops).
    What I’m trying to say (sorry for the rambling, this is why I don’t have a blog) is that I’m looking to you to find the holy grail of perfect (& fashionable) packing…. hopefully before our next adventure to Paris, Berlin & Rome in May….
    PS and what’s with the lack of power outlets??? and wifi ? Oz was a complete dead zone!

• Shani January, 21 2010, 7:35 / Reply

Oh, I could have warned you about the hotel laundry service! My husband and I have both made that mistake before… OUCH! Long term packing just gets more painful as the airlines gloss over our fashion needs. :P Hope you made it to Courchevel!

• Samantha January, 21 2010, 7:49 / Reply

garance, i love you, hilarious, adorable, full of great advice, and lovely….what else could one ask for?

• Meadow January, 21 2010, 8:39 / Reply

Garance, oh, how you make me giggle. Thank you for always keeping it delightful.

• holierthannow January, 21 2010, 8:51 / Reply

OMG i was dying starting when you said the laundry idea… because I did that once in Italy and the bill was $200. Isn’t that INSANE? it was more than A NIGHT AT THE HOTEL!!!

one thing i do often though is handwash stuff in the sink… especially if it’s just tops for going out etc… this works better if you’re in a hot place and you have thin, non-existent clothes that take 2 seconds to dry.

• stylaholic January, 21 2010, 8:51 / Reply

I laughed reading this. I travel for weeks at a time through Europe and love to rent apartments that have a laundry machine. In Spain 2 years ago, I drove my bf nuts because I did laundry every 2 days! And would heat up an iron leave it on my clothes for a few minutes, then move to the next non-dry part, until the whole thing was dry. Great for cotton underwear, socks, and guys boxers. My nicer jeans and shirts were hung up to dry, whcih also drove my bf nuts. This may be the subject of my next blog entry, how to travel light and on a budget and be stylis and have clean clothes! I’ve been doing it for the last 10 years.

xoxo, your blog is amazing! i’m just getting started on mine

• Stephanie January, 21 2010, 8:59 / Reply

How do you translate Macgyver-ize into French? Is there an equivalent or is Macgyver universal? Love it!

• Le 21ème January, 21 2010, 9:45 / Reply

Great post Garance! We love you!

- http://www.21Arrondissement.com

• Lilly January, 21 2010, 10:42 / Reply

Your posts always make me smile. Fashion, travel and laundry ideas.

& I’m oh-so-glad that you have an english site now! :)

• saroune January, 22 2010, 12:28 / Reply

OH lala le sèche cheveux comme séchoir express de culottes, je croyais être la seule à le faire (enfin la seule, je veux dire faire partie d’un groupe restreint…)

• diya January, 22 2010, 1:36 / Reply

you always have the best stories…what a great sense of humor.

• sharon January, 22 2010, 2:36 / Reply

i adore every garance post….. there is no wonder why your blog is loved by so many around the world ;)

• arre January, 22 2010, 2:59 / Reply

ok, so you are always funny but this my friend, the tale of the melting panties, takes. the. cake.

• Sweetwine & Snowflakes January, 22 2010, 4:44 / Reply

Thanks for having an English site! Your writing style is fantastic, I always look forward to your posts, never worry about the length :)

• Anastassia January, 22 2010, 5:08 / Reply

Hahaha, I cannot believe they’d charge so much for hotel laundry in Italy.

• farah, uKnowMe January, 22 2010, 11:03 / Reply

Hahahaha… u r so funny Garance
    please don’t try to reinvent it again or YSL will wake from his death
    *aah.. or maybe that’s a good idea :p

• Sophia January, 22 2010, 1:12 / Reply

I wish i had something better to do instead of reading blogs… as a schoolgirl i probably do! i think your blog is the best and my gorgeous glamerous parisienne godmother has started the le smoking reinvention too – fishing out her fabulous old one from her days at WWD, i saw her getting ready for a party in it and it is the ESSENCE of chic! lots of love X

• Stéphanie January, 22 2010, 8:06 / Reply

Ce billet est génial, il m’a beaucoup fait rire ! Cela fait longtemps que je te lis mais je ne commente généralement jamais… je fais une exception là car j’ai vraiment adoré ;)

• Sara Emili January, 23 2010, 4:32 / Reply

So many of us have those Chanel stubborn countercultural reinventing moments, where you believe your spirit can overcome the true physicality and form, fortunately I still believe that! Vai Vai Forza!

• Kathy G January, 23 2010, 5:39 / Reply

I hang on every word you say…so NO cutting short on blogs! I thought of you yesterday after I tried on 10 pairs of tights…all different brands…lying in a heap on my bed…I HATE TIGHTS…I loved that blog!

• hugyouwear January, 23 2010, 2:52 / Reply

Super post!

And look here… a travel scale:

As they say, be carefull what you wish for

• Marina January, 23 2010, 11:28 / Reply

vive la garde-robe de l’HOMME:

le tout premier avantage, dixit le tout premier commandement du code de la vie de couple:

1/ le dressing de l’homme tu mêleras au tiens.

• Alex January, 24 2010, 1:39 / Reply

LOL you are most interesting not because of all the traveling or for being one of the best street-style photographers/bloggers, but because of little anecdotes like these that are always so fun to read on your blog <3

• may January, 24 2010, 5:12 / Reply

très drôle j’adore lire tes anecdotes. En voyant le dessin et le début du texte, j’ai cru que tu avais vraiment pris un dessus de lit de l’hotel et que tu t’étais faite une robe vraiment chouette… idée à creuser pour la prochaine fois haha

• Camille January, 24 2010, 9:37 / Reply

J’adore ton récit parce qu’il me fait rire mais ce dont je suis le plus contente, c’est de retrouver un DESSIN !!

• Cynthia January, 24 2010, 11:22 / Reply

Excellent ce post! Trop drôle. Merci d’être toi et surtout de nous le raconter ^-^
    Moi quand je vais en Italie je prends minimum deux kilos… Mais celui qui invente la balance de voyage je le tue! Nan mais! :D

• paddy razzi January, 25 2010, 9:11 / Reply

that illustration is wonderful!!!

• vale January, 25 2010, 8:36 / Reply

you’re soooo funny. it’s always a pleasure to read you.
    and, the longer the better, non?

salut!

• sofia January, 26 2010, 8:45 / Reply

“certains trucs vitALS manquent, les gars : …” je crois que y’a une coquille !

• Louise January, 28 2010, 9:28 / Reply

Wow, c’est totalement impressionnant ce que tu fais ! Magnifique, j’adore.
    Bravo et bonne continuation..

Si jamais tu as deux minutes à consacrer à mon encore tout petit blog, j’apprécierais énormément;

Merci d’avance,

Louise.

• zuzana February, 9 2010, 9:39 / Reply

yes, yes, garance, we want your book!!! and we want it to be looong, and full of illustrations. of course, your short text messages are also brilliant. please, please us with something not virtual!!! :-)

• LynnMank March, 6 2010, 3:03 / Reply

Allo!

Je suis nouvelle ici, j’ai deja deux bebes et j’espere en avoir bientot un troisieme. Je ne sais pas si vous etes comme moi, mais suite à ma premiere grossesse j’ai eu de la cellulite à quelques endroits sur mon corps. Suite à cela, j’ai fait des recherches sur internet et j’ai essaye quelques produits.

J’ai finalement trouve quelque chose qui fonctionne!! Le nom du produit est Cellulean Je ne sais pas si vous avez de la cellulite mais c’est deplaisant et je suis tres satisfaite des resultats! Je vous en fait part, essayez le ca en vaut vraiment la peine. L’essaie est gratuit en plus :)

Voici le lien qui mene au site du produit (c’est en anglais mais facile à comprendre)

[url=http://endingsoon.buyonsale.ca/tracking202/redirect/dl.php?t202id=6291&t202kw=]www.cellulean.com[/url]

J’espere vraiment aider quelques unes d’entre vous ! C’EST POSSIBLE de s’en sortir..

Laissez moi vos impressions! :)