High Society

What’s funny about ski-wear is that most of the time it’s terribly ugly. I dunno, it’s like even the most elegant women, after a certain altitude, throw up their arms and say, “Send in the colors!!! Mirrored Sunglasses for all!!! More Fluorescent visors!!! Wooooohhhooo let’s go schuuuuussssssing!!!!”

And you know what? I’m exactly the same way. In the peak of my life as a snowboarder, you could have given me a golden jumpsuit and I would have been as proud as a peacock. Because one must, I found the craziest Arnette sunglasses that reflect the entire ski station. I had a wool headband around my ears that I clipped to my hair to defy all laws of gravity. Thank god I never quite got my hands on any white lipstick. I would have loved it.

That’s what I get for spending my days flying headfirst into the snow.

When I got to Aspen, known for being ultra-chic, I was half-expecting to see people wearing Moncler, fur, and getting to the top of the mountains jumping out of helicopters, but no, not actually how it is.

It’s totally relaxed in terms of style. Tech-wear, comfort above all and flashy colors optional. Well, maybe I should add that you can still go shopping for a Rick Owens jacket after your hot apple cider.

So even though I’m not the nostalgic type, I gotta say, in terms of ski-style, IT WAS BETTER BEFORE. I’m sure all these people were completely freezing in their non-polar wool sweaters. But at least they suffered with distinction. And on top of that, the photos were in black & white. Makes it too easy to coordinate colors. Pffff no fair.

I wanted to get a closer look so I went to the Aspen Historical Society. And I found this delightful dish, Lana Turner. Oh man, so great.

And then tons other anonymous faces covered in jumpsuits… Oh my…. Ultra sexy!

Okay, so I’m exaggerating a little. It seems like there are a few young brands that are ahead of the game. If one day you are looking for good snow clothes, go walk around Aether,  Kjus, or Authier. Super classy.

Now that we’ve hit a stopping point, I’ll stop talking to you about the snow, seeing as I got to NYC yesterday looking amazing in my ski-lodge clothes seeing that outside, IT WAS SPRINGTIME.

I’ll leave you with the smiling Lana Turner, total YSL S-S 2010 with her strawberry sweater. She’s so cute I wanted to paint my nails nice and red. Okay, off we go! Goodbye factory worker hands! Hello elegance of women from yesteryear!!! BONJOUR SPRINGTIME!!!

Translation : Tim Sullivan

• Spring Breakdown
    Stories
    Spring Breakdown
  • A Moisturizer Cocktail
    A Moisturizer...
  • Quilted Pants
    Quilted Pants
  • Tempête de Neige
    Tempête de Neige

• selena March, 22 2010, 4:22 / Reply

this is so wonderful i can’t even put it into words!

• katiecrackernuts March, 22 2010, 4:31 / Reply

The hair. That beautiful hair. Nothing windswept there. I’d be a mess. A soggy, frizzy, windburned face mess.

• Dessiza March, 22 2010, 4:32 / Reply

Tiens ça me donne presque envie de dévaler les pentes…

O.O

• Kara March, 22 2010, 4:33 / Reply

I just stumbled across your site and the design and photos are the most gorgeous I’ve ever seen.

xoxo
    Kara

• Calliope27 March, 22 2010, 4:36 / Reply

Bonjour Garance. Merci pour ce post. Ces photos sont juste géniales. Je me trouve beaucoup moins classe quand je vais skier !!
    PS : Qu’est ce que j’aime ces photos où les femmes étaient impeccables des pieds à la tête sans photoshop (!) et elles avaient l’air si libéré !

• Jézz March, 22 2010, 4:43 / Reply

non mais vraiment…
    moi jte le dis..
    MONTRÉALL !!!
    vient faire un tour, en hiver ou en été..
    ON A DE LA CLASSE !!! ;)

• if jane March, 22 2010, 4:46 / Reply

great photos.

• cator sparks March, 22 2010, 5:04 / Reply

Cest Magnifique! These turned out so beautifully. Congratulations.
    Glad I could be there to see Garance in action. You turned those images into something more beautiful.
    I want that waist cincher that ski-bunny is wearing. Is that Samantha from Bewitched? Twinkle Twinkle!

• Catherine March, 22 2010, 5:19 / Reply

b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l.

• Heather March, 22 2010, 5:40 / Reply

Garance-

Southern CA is calling! Really amazing “street style” for boarders! Mt. High, Bear, Mammoth, -even Mt. Baldy – no one does snowboarding in style like SoCAL! Truly amazing street style, where more pattern and less matching is better. Snowboarding celebrates the individual, and individual style is not only celebrated but required. Skiing style is really a completely different matter.

Love your blog – really inspiring!

• a real snowboarder March, 22 2010, 5:53 / Reply

yuck!
    anyone who actually shreds on a snowboard will agree that this is hideous…
    give me grenade, burton, holden…

• Miranda March, 22 2010, 6:05 / Reply

“But at least they suffered with distinction.” Oh, you make me laugh so hard, Garance! This post was delightfully amusing :)

• Satpreet March, 22 2010, 6:13 / Reply

Garance. Amongst the many things I admire about you/your blog, I just love the way you lay things out on a surface and photograph them. I’ve always wondered: Do you do this in real life and take a picture of it; or do you do it on the computer?

Do let me know.

• Caddy March, 22 2010, 6:13 / Reply

I thought Lana Turner’s strawberry pattern was a chunky necklace when I saw it in the first picture. Haha, thank goodness there’re close ups. :)

• Anthony March, 22 2010, 6:14 / Reply

This shows me why I am such a devoted follower of your blog
    ( your writing is a crack up…love it)

• Catherine March, 22 2010, 6:15 / Reply

on a envie de dévaler les pistes à nouveau !
    Quelles belles photos ! Le passé est toujours fascinant.

• Olga March, 22 2010, 6:41 / Reply

Sympas ces photos !
    Bon retour parmis le commun des mortels garance =)

• whatdialike March, 22 2010, 6:43 / Reply

ah oui ils avaient du style!!

• sophiemei March, 22 2010, 6:51 / Reply

u have so much beautiful old pictures, i really love it that me thinking about old memories and missing them!

• Jasmine March, 22 2010, 6:53 / Reply

I love your Aspen posts Garance! They remind me of my ski weekends with my friends in the Canadian Rockie Mountains. We actually just posted on on our blog. Check it out: http://cestclassique.blogspot.com

• Jessica March, 22 2010, 7:00 / Reply

Ces photos sont magnifiques ! Merci Garance pour cette belle façon de démarrer le printemps ! :D
    Bonne journée

• Maija March, 22 2010, 7:22 / Reply

Haha, la premiere fois que je…could comment with just nodding and nodding, laughing a little at the same time :) I’ve been snowboarding actively since I was 14 (btw, make up is essential when one’ is 14, come on, the slopes are full of cute guys!) and, well I guess it’s slightly different from Aspen, where there are people who come there once or twice every year(hence don’t need new gear yearly or at least won’t wear them out)..
    But I find it actually quite nice that there’is one place where you can just go crazy with what you’re wearing..there are a lot of colours, stripes and all where I live, but the cool boarder people change their gear pretty quickly. I was just last week on the slopes, riding down with my father’s old purple pants from the 80”s..my friend tought my pants were new, so here we go ;)..

But yeah, if we could get the old time glamour back!

Greetings from still snowy Finland

• Noon March, 22 2010, 7:31 / Reply

C’est sûr que le style au ski (surtout en France ?) c’est pas de rester en Moncler et de se peler les miches pour, au final, se choucrouter dans la neige.
    C’est marrant de voir toutes ces vieilles photos d’Aspen. D’autant plus que Lana Turner était magnifique dans la neige, avec ses fraises ;-)

Profite bien de ton séjour printanier à NY !! :-)

PS : on écrit “tu pouvais” et non “tu pouvait” ;-)

• Anne ChicandGeek March, 22 2010, 7:32 / Reply

Magique ton billet !
    Il me plonge direct dans les vieux films américains que j’adore…
    Déjà ton titre et je sifflote Louis Armstrong dans “High Society”, je vois Grace Kelly, Sinatra, Bing Crosby…
    Je crois que je préfère la première version “Philadelphia Story”, pour le couple K. Hepburn et Cary Grant…
    Mais je raconte n’importe quoi car cela ne se passe pas à la montagne mais autour d’une piscine…
    On s’en fout, le style est là. La société aussi.
    Décontractée, un peu beurrée mais cool ;)

Bisous et merci Garance
    Anne

• Comme Coco March, 22 2010, 7:41 / Reply

Great story and picture!

• Breathless March, 22 2010, 7:49 / Reply

Ahhhh, Lana! Gorgeous!

• L March, 22 2010, 8:07 / Reply

Bonjour Garance !!

Ton post tombe à pic car je me demandais si la station Aspen était huppée (balais-dans-le-cu*, quoi !)
    Contente que tu en ais bien profité !
    Gros bisous Garance !!

PS: l’animal = paon ! :)

• cathy March, 22 2010, 8:30 / Reply

ahhh nostalgie quand tu nous tiens !!!
    bizzz

• Isabella March, 22 2010, 8:32 / Reply

My mum always said “If you want to be beautiful, you have to suffer” – here we have the best example of it! -And that its actually worth it ;-)

• maths&jasmin March, 22 2010, 8:34 / Reply

as tu skié à Aspen? et si oui comment sont les pistes? plutôt Mégève ou val d’isère?
    ah le ski, et aujourd’hui à Paris c’est le printemps aussi…vivement l’hiver prochain (jamais contente hein)
    dans mes délires, au ski, vers 15-16 ans, à mon époque surfeuse, j’avais même un jean oxbow rose pour l’après ski…, je devais ressembler à un malabar et c’était à la plagne dont tu parlais toi même du style pas hype!

• civetta March, 22 2010, 8:35 / Reply

ça c’est bien vrai!! les pulls beige à jacquard norvegien, c’etait quand même vachement plus hype que les polaires jaune-vert fluo!! Et so D&G FW 2010, en plus… Mais bon, sûr que pour trasnpirer dedans, c’etait pas le top… on avait chaud avant et froid après, bof bof.. La polaire en jacquard norvegien, il ont pas ça en stock, Domenico & Federico? -:)

• no&me March, 22 2010, 8:37 / Reply

Bonjouuur Bonjour Monsieur Printeeeeemps, sur la grand route des nuageuhs, avez vous fait un bon voyageuh …. la la la la la la … !!! (chanson que ma grand-mère me chantait petite). Et ces vieilles photos me font penser à ma grand-mère. Colette. Qui était toujours tellement chic. Ces vieilles photos sont encore plus cinématographiques, sans doute parcequ’elles sont américaines. Les américains, sont les pros de la mise en scène, et j’imagine que dans une station de ski aussi chic, on devait s’en donner à coeur joie sur la mise en scène et le style !
    J’aime les hommes en fourrure, c’est trop chic, trop cosy, trop sexy, trop fort, trop aventurier de l’extrême, trop retour aux sources, c’est mon côté Michel Strogoff qui ressort ;-)

Je ne travaille pas du tout mon style au ski, je suis en détox mode, un peu comme sur la plage de F … ;-) Ma valise est petite, je prends mes tee-shirt troués, mon gros pull torsadé gris clair col roulé en cachemire Banana Republic (il date !!! = 7 ans bordel !!!) et j’ai un vieux blouson ( rien que le mot Blouson … bouh … ) noir vilain et un pantalon gris pourri … en revanche : casque blanc et masque blanc : trop la pro ! :-))) et je skie … à la Plagne ! depuis que je suis minus.

Alors te voilà à NY au printemps : Photos ! Photos ! Photos ! les arbres en fleur de Central Park, le style printanier de la new yorkaise : photos !!! :-)
    Enjoy et bisous !

• Fantômette March, 22 2010, 8:37 / Reply

le pull fraise!

• Mélisse March, 22 2010, 8:39 / Reply

très jolies photos
    (fière comme un paon l’animal)

• Madame Raph March, 22 2010, 8:40 / Reply

Hey Garance!
    Que dis-tu de la marque Mover (www.mover.se)?
    Chic et basique non?
    Dans tout les cas c’est ce que j’essaie de faire.
    Kiss kiss

• faraway March, 22 2010, 8:41 / Reply

Aahah, ton billet m’a bien fait rire de bon matin !
    C’est sûr, les tenues de ski c’est pas bien glamour. ( pour ça que je n’y vais pas, d’ailleurs, pas parce que j’ai un niveau à pleurer, mais naaan )
    Enfin bref, moi je regrette l’époque du fuseau, au moins c’était plus sexy !

• Sunny Side March, 22 2010, 8:51 / Reply

Garance quand on clic sur Aether (superbes photos) et Kjus c’est la même Chose ??? !!!!

• alizée G. March, 22 2010, 8:52 / Reply

cette femme est vraiment merveilleuse, moi ‘était les ongles bordeaux que je me suis fait hier.. bonjour printemps avec un temps à goutte, pas coolos !
    sinon encore New York ? What do you do G. ? :)
    Bisous, bisous, Alizée G.

• Camille March, 22 2010, 8:53 / Reply

C’est magnifique ! J’adore ses photos en noir et blanc. Sa donne envie !

• Laurence March, 22 2010, 8:56 / Reply

Tout ça tout ça, c’est magnifique, n’empêche que moi j’ai vécu de grands moments de solitude vestimentaire à l’occasion de séjours de ski. Eh oui, quand tu vas en classe de neige à 12 ans alors que tu n’es jamais aller skier ça donne (en ce qui me concerne) : année 86, une combi orange et blanc qui me serrait à fond car ma cousine était plus petite que moi mais il n’y avait qu’elle qui pouvait me prêter un truc, des lunettes bien trop grandes car taille adulte et question ski… on n’est plus sur Lana Turner gentiment assise dans la neige….non non non, on a plutôt la gamine à l’âge ingrat qui peste comme une malade que le ski c’est vraiment de la m*rde car elle vient de se prendre une énorme gamelle et que la combi a craqué!!! Bon à la boum de fin de séjour tout s’arrange…

• Helena March, 22 2010, 9:16 / Reply

gap in the Market. For super-cool (warm) snow clothing based on traditional alpine clothing but using modern fabrics and cobstrution techniques.

There were some really great snow clothes in some of the James bond films from the 60′s and if I recall correctly a film with audrey Hepburn and Cary grant set in the Swiss alps.

sorel 1964 snow pac boots are the idea….

• Rebecca March, 22 2010, 9:24 / Reply

A lovely moodboard full of inspirational vintage photos…
    Wow I love it!

• Hélène March, 22 2010, 9:39 / Reply

Il faut reconnaître qu’ils avaient vraiment plus de style…
    ça me fait penser aux photos de ma grands parents étant jeunes: toujours classes, coiffure impeccable, pose impeccable… Ils avaient quand même beaucoup plus d’allure!
    Mais, trève de nostalgie, parce que j’ai peut-être pas autant la classe au ski, mais moi, au moins, j’ai pas froid! et toc! ;)

• Noémie March, 22 2010, 9:39 / Reply

Ils avaient du style!! Ca donne envie de faire un bon en arrière!!

• Sarah-Julia March, 22 2010, 9:39 / Reply

Ce que je ne comprends jamais avec ce stick à lèvre blanc c’est pourquoi la plupart des gens en foutent grossièrement sur les lèvre et tout autour ?!

• Noem March, 22 2010, 10:05 / Reply

J’adore ce style!!! merci pr les marques trendy-fashion pr être plus présentable au ski…!
    J’adore aussi le style de la fille aux cheveux mi-longs… ça donne envie de se remettre en moonboots! ou pas!? allez hop, je ressort mes K-Jacques, je file shopper du Liberty chez Merci (oui! suis FAN littérale de ce magasin!!!) et je visse mon Panama sur mes cheveux tt waivy… ça va appeler le PRINTEMPS!! …. ou pas…. en tt cas ça me fait rêver aux vacances…
    xoxo

• Sara Bianca March, 22 2010, 10:17 / Reply

Really elegant. I love the family pic with all the laughter. This was a great trip down “memory lane.” Thanks for sharing!

• Sara Bianca March, 22 2010, 10:17 / Reply

P.s. Happy SPRING!! :)

• imane March, 22 2010, 10:27 / Reply

cette série photo est juste magnifique !
    comme d’hab’ jdirais

cheeky girl

• Chloe March, 22 2010, 10:48 / Reply

Love these pictures, they are absolutely gorgeous!

• ayla March, 22 2010, 11:41 / Reply

hahaha la photo de lana turner est fabuleuse!!! merci garance!

• Life of A French Fashionista in Milano March, 22 2010, 11:47 / Reply

J’adore ce style complètement rétro.
    Mais je crois qu’on peut faire cette remarque pour beaucoup de choses malheureusement: j’ai toujours trouvé que les personnes des années 50 et 60 s’habillaient de façon beaucoup plus chic pour toutes les occasions: aujourd’hui c’est très rare. Et on a perdu ce côté suranné du style.

J’ai été voir le site des marques dont tu parles et j’adore la veste de ski bleu dégradé de Kjus.
    Mais je trouve que les fabricants font de plus en plus d’efforts au point de vue du style et de la coupe même chez les marques plus classiques tel que NorthFace, etc.

Merci de nous faire partager tout ça,

PS: Au lieu du lien vers le site de Kjus c’est vers Aether vers lequel on est envoyé.

• Olivia (à Paris) March, 22 2010, 12:03 / Reply

C’est sûr que ça change de la combi de ski prêtée par tata Sylvie…C’est absolument superbe cette combi noire gainante avec le pull en dessous…et la coiffure. Comment se gauffrer avec grâce, eux savaient!

• Alda March, 22 2010, 12:06 / Reply

It seems women in the 50s and 60s knew how to pull it off! You’re definitely right! I hate sking, and I think mostly because I never wanted to feel like a ‘hotdog’ but I also don’t like the cold weather too much…
    thanks for the pics – they’re fabulous!

• Danisha March, 22 2010, 12:46 / Reply

même si je vis au québec jsuis pas fan de la neige parce que je ne trouve pas moyen de rester class après -10 lol et oui on caille et je deteste avoir froid alors faut faire un choix..mais j’y travaille activement ton post m’a donné un mini espoir.

• Ilham.M March, 22 2010, 12:54 / Reply

Les photos sont vraiment splendides, très Mad Men like ou Vuitton like non ?…j’adore!!!

• Clare March, 22 2010, 12:58 / Reply

Skiwear is generally hideously garish… These photos are wonderful!

tweet tweet tweet

x

• Leonidas March, 22 2010, 1:00 / Reply

not only in terms of ski style but also in everyday, people used to be stylish 24/7

• Valentine March, 22 2010, 1:15 / Reply

L’espace d’un instant j’ai cru reconnaître “Garance & Scott” sur la photo de couple, il me faut des lunettes

• Space by Eliana Tomas March, 22 2010, 3:50 / Reply

I agree so much with you, and I have to do a parallelism here: it’s like flying. It used to be ultra chic, glamour flying everywhere, the best service on earth would be provided. Nowadays is all so different, just like skiing.
    The photos you’ve chosen to illustrate this post reminds me a James Bond movie. They’re all so glamorous too, aren’t they?

• FASHION SNAG March, 22 2010, 4:01 / Reply

Yeah, when I go to Aspen I notice it isn’t as glitzy and glamorous as it used to be. People are usually wearing comfortable workout gear clothes around town. I miss the glamour! xo

• iknowa March, 22 2010, 4:05 / Reply

mais pas question de revenir aux boots d’antan (chaussé d’antin ;- ) ?métro :)))))….elles étaient plus dures que le fer :-)) J’avais une combi rouge, elle faisait de jambes d’enfer, mais ce que j’aimais bien c’étaient les bretelles ;-) !
    bonjour printemps !

• kyle March, 22 2010, 4:27 / Reply

the chicest thing and the hippest is that clipboard in the photo,,,,,,very cool

• Suzanne March, 22 2010, 4:37 / Reply

One of the first movies that got me hooked on the black & white “classics” was “The Sun Valley Serenade” starring Sonja Henie. While the movie took place in Sun Valley, ID, this post brings me back to such a simple, yet charming movie, and makes me fall in love with the ski lodge lifestyle all over again.

• Sarah March, 22 2010, 5:06 / Reply

I am loving the fact that you are blogging about Aspen, CO. I’ve never been a “ski-bunny”- (can I say that?), but it’s nice admiring the culture from the outside. I happen to be the nostalgic type and have to agree that ppl were dressing better back then, although it was most likely less comfortable and less warm.

• Fiona March, 22 2010, 9:11 / Reply

et oui c’est pas forcement évident d’avoir le style au ski ! soit ca caille, soit il fait trop chaud!! comme toi j’ai vécu toute une journée en pensant avoir le staile avec mon masque arnette! le hic, c’est une fois la journée de ski fini, le moment où l’on enlève son masque et là … méga trace !!! Enfin, maintenant que je sais que Aspen c’est plutot relax, je vais y passer toutes mes vacances en pleine… simplicité !

• ladyofletters March, 22 2010, 9:23 / Reply

Best post ever, Garance, contextualises fashion within history etc.

• Catharina Natalie March, 22 2010, 9:41 / Reply

Oh no! I was very proud to see that you recommend the Norwegian skier Lasse Kjus´ line KJUS, but you have mislinked the page!:S

Anyway beautifaul pictures from the golden age!:D

• Danique March, 22 2010, 10:17 / Reply

Garance, c’est vraiment magnifique! I didn’t even read the lines in between the pictures because I loved them so so much!

• Liya March, 22 2010, 11:48 / Reply

isnt it amazing?! many years ago someone took these photos, probably just for fun without thinking twice about it, and today we look at them as the artefacts of fashion and seek inspiration from them… awesomeness…

• Gon March, 23 2010, 12:05 / Reply

They were indeed really more elegant! Look at those pictures!
    You’re too funny Garance!

xx,
    Dimogonda blog

• Lili_Espiegles March, 23 2010, 12:20 / Reply

Pour continuer la lecture sur la mode et le milieu du ski http://www.leblogdheidi.com/

Bises à toutes

• Emily the Panda March, 23 2010, 4:01 / Reply

I was just snowboarding in Breckenridge, CO last week! My first time going was in Aspen in 2008. Everything you are saying in this post is true!

• Knouzette March, 23 2010, 1:30 / Reply

Je m’attendais a voir Jackie O. !!! tellement c’est de sa classe tout ça ! :)
    lucky you, et bonne reprise en main ;)

• noor March, 23 2010, 3:44 / Reply

L’homme à lunette a quelque chose de … “Sartorialist” :)))

• Matt March, 25 2010, 8:34 / Reply

pfff… t’étais très bien en surfeuse …

• the gardeners cottage March, 25 2010, 10:11 / Reply

Oh you are so right. There is no glamour in skiing today. I loved my black racer ski pants and a nice parka with fur. Now today it’s big oversized everything. Everyone said I must get this new stuff, “it’s so comfortable” they cried. Ughhh, it’s bulky and now looking at my ski pics it is ugly too. I much prefer the Lana look. I’m getting my old stuff out again. Who cares what anyone thinks!

• Fabian Charles March, 26 2010, 2:34 / Reply

on dit la main* pas le main

• Chloe January, 18 2011, 2:10 / Reply

What stunning photos!

• mi. September, 26 2012, 9:56 / Reply

classic Aspen photos! Great! I love Snowmass slopes, especially on a first of january:) everybody is sleeping and all slopes are for you:) but how was your snowboarding?