readers-mailbox-garance-dore

Garance, just a little quick question–what do you wear on, dare I say it– a fat day? You’ve gained fifty kilos overnight and hey presto, nothing fits. Any suggestions? -Roula

Aaaaahhmmmm very good question, especially with the holidays around the corner.

What to do? What to do, indeed?

The first thing I do is try on the outfits I know I feel best in. You feel ugly, so don’t even try to squeeze yourself into a super tight pair of skinny jeans.
I hate feeling squeezed in my outfits. It makes me feel suffocated.

I pick out something simple.

A pair of boyfriends jeans with a button down men’s shirt. It’s chic and works every time. Even if, just to name an example, you feel like you have the rear-end of an aircraft carrier (well, for me, the aircraft carrier likes to park itself more in the belly region), you can just let the shirt be longer than your bum… Out of sight out of mind.

So, after that, I have to make sure no one confuses me with my boyfriend. So I add to the ensemble:

• High pointy heels, as feminine as it gets, and rarely do we have fat foot days, thank God.
  • Jewelry, and a lot of it.
  • Red lipstick.

It does get more complicated if ever I have a fat night. What are you supposed to wear when you have to be chic and you feel about as svelte as Kung Fu Panda?

Well, same rules apply… A nice pair of wide pants with a tuxedo jacket, and you’ll be as calm as can be.

Pffffff.

In fact, it’s so easy it’s kind of a problem.

If you feel so good in your fat day clothes, what would stop you from wearing them every day of the year? And then suddenly your fat day clothes have become your normal day clothes.

And then what do you do when your boyfriend jeans start to fit you? When they become your new skinny jeans? Aarrrgh.

What should we do?
Change boyfriends?

Or squeeze yourself into some skinny jeans just to remind yourself that a fat day is not a normal day?

What do you think?

And of course, if you want to ask me a question, you can do it here. Big hugs!

Translation : Tim Sullivan

• Reader’s Mailbox / Stop Frowning!
    Reader’s...
  • Reader’s Mailbox / Sports Girls
    Reader’s...
  • Reader’s Mailbox / The Non Frizz Zone
    Reader’s...
  • Reader’s Mailbox / Juice ?
    Reader’s...

• Elisa November, 20 2012, 9:10 / Reply

Quand j’ai des fat days, je ne porte surtout pas de jean/pantalon, mais seulement des robes ajustées a la taille et évasée en bas, avec une bonne paire de collant noir et des ankle boots. Et oui un bon rouge a levre marche toujours. Et des cheveux bien jolis et propres, et beaucoup d’eyeliner.

Elisa – Wandering Minds
    ourwanderingminds.com

• andreea November, 20 2012, 9:10

there are ways to avoid feeling bad on a fat day…

• CforStyle November, 20 2012, 9:13 / Reply

difficult question. Nightmare! Pinch yourself in the cheek to see if you’re dreaming, if not stay at home since you feel better. *smile*
    C.

• Shari November, 20 2012, 9:13 / Reply

Oh god! You just described me! This has happened to me!

• prudence November, 20 2012, 9:14 / Reply

Perso, je ne mets jamais de jeans dans ce genre de journée. J’ai l’impression que je dépasse du cadre, ça sort de partout.Je mets une robe un peu floue, ou une coupée en A, je me fais une queue de cheval haute et JE ME MAQUILLE, je mets un décolté et un soutient gorge qui n.est pas trop pigeonnant. Moi aussi mon porte avion il est sur le ventre, donc pas de trop d’embouteillage à ce niveau..

Et chose étrange que je fais depuis des lunes, je mets deux paires de collants noirs, ça me fait toujours des belles jambes, noires très opaques et je me sens retenue…si vous voyez ce que je veux dire.

• Jennifer D. November, 20 2012, 9:15 / Reply

Ha, it’s so true that when you wear your fat clothes all day, they change into your normal day clothes.
    Unless you make them less “nice”. That way close people start to tell you your clothes really don’t look appropriate and you’re forced into your normal day clothes again.

So I think the answer is to dress very comfortable and not to nice. Skip the heels and the jewelry :)

Jennifer
    The White Studio

• Justine November, 20 2012, 9:15 / Reply

I so get your wonders in the last part of your post!!!
    For me it’s more when I wear dresses and skirts several days in a row my weight is not much of a problem…. So at least once a week I put one a pair of jeans I know for being tighter it’s like a weight scale except that I don’t have to see numbers ^^

• prudence November, 20 2012, 9:16 / Reply

et je me dis mentalement que je suis aussi gorgeous que Marilyn Monroe.

• Viktoria November, 20 2012, 9:21 / Reply

Great advice, thanks)))

Hugs from Ukraine!

• Jean November, 20 2012, 9:23 / Reply

You. Are. Hilarious.

• arli November, 20 2012, 9:25 / Reply

Moi, je mise aussi sur des tenues qui, je le sais, sont sans risque. Je pense qu’on doit tout de même être assez honnêtes pour admettre qu’il ya des vêtements…..qui nous vont! Alors, voilà, c’est un peu comme toi, quand je ne suis pas en top forme, je mise sur ce que je sais qui m’ira. Dans mon cas, c’est en général robe + blazer noir + bas opaque + boots…. Pour les normal days, j’aime osez des trucs différents: des couleurs plus fashy, mettre un accessoire qui tranche un peu, la jouer un peu décalé quoi!

• Christelle J. November, 20 2012, 9:29 / Reply

moi, j’évite juste de me regarder dans la glace.

• The slow pace November, 20 2012, 9:29 / Reply

Oh, boyfriend jeans! How much I love you! And this season I’m loving sweatshirts too! And the oversize trend is underrated. It is perfect for fat days (or just fat life, ehem, I have to read that motivation post you did the other day). In fat nights I wear the most precious item of my wardrobe: my pijamas.
    Confession: am I the only one who has had fad foot days? Water retention anyone? And, no, I’m not pregnant. I might look like it, but I’m not.

• Cecilia November, 20 2012, 9:29 / Reply

Un pantalon slim et un pull tres large! Bottines a semelle compensée (style Isabelle Marant) dans la même couleur du pantalon pour élonger la jambe! Une très belle écharpe et un chapeau pour sortir. Et si la tenue devenait l’uniforme des tous les jour? C’est impossible je aime trop les vêtements!!!

Cecilia

• anne November, 20 2012, 9:30 / Reply

je m’habille en noir . total look noir . cheveux nickel + maquillage soigné . et de très belles chaussures sergio rossi +de beaux bijoux . et voilà , je crois que je m’en sors pas trop mal.

• pascal November, 20 2012, 9:34 / Reply

Personnellement ça se termine en jogging et de préférence à la maison et au mieux en tenue de sport direction la gym !!!! http://fut-il.com/il-aime/934153.html

• San November, 20 2012, 9:36 / Reply

Tout pareil que toi, Garance : des basiques confortables qui tendent quand même vers le chic (pas le vieux t-shirt mou mais la chemise un peu crisp, pas de yoga pants mais le pantalon de tailleur un peu large), avec des bijoux et des talons.
    Sauf que comme Anne, je soigne tout particulièrement mes cheveux. Avec une crinière brillante et en forme, une peau lumineuse et un beau rouge à lèvres, y a plus que mon visage qu’on regarde (oué bon, eh, on peut toujours rêver …).

• Josephina November, 20 2012, 9:38 / Reply

I love my fat day clothes, especially in the winter when I’ve overeaten over the holidays! However, I think that wearing skinny jeans on a regular basis is important. It’s a slippery slope to letting it all go!
    -Josephina

• Felicia November, 20 2012, 9:38 / Reply

Garance you said it all this time and perfectly so. Boyfriend jeans, some kind of heel, some lipstick and you’re done. Never forget to smile, that completes any look.

• Severine November, 20 2012, 9:44 / Reply

Idem que ci-dessus, perso je mets plutot des robes qui ne sont pas marquées à la taille. Impossible de mettre un pantalon ces jours là, mon ventre est gonflé, j’ai l’impression d’être enceinte d’un pot de nutella, donc ne pas marquer la taille s’impose (et c’est plus confortable). Sans compter que le boy friend jeans n’est pas possible ds mon cadre de boulot. Une robe droite et des talons, et la fin du collant sous mon bidon ( oui je sais c’est glam…) !
    Il est vrai que malheureusement qd on a trouvé ce style, on a vite fait de se dire ” oh finalement c’est pas mal”, et de ne plus trop s’inquiéter de multiplier les fat days

• Denisa November, 20 2012, 9:49 / Reply

Really great post and I like your advice. Have a great day.

• Sialsiquiero November, 20 2012, 9:49 / Reply

We think that a red lipstick can fix you way of feel about yourself! And a oversize jacket with jeans and navy t-shirt! Perfect!

• Ashton November, 20 2012, 9:55 / Reply

Once I bought these Juicy Couture skinny jeans in two sizes too big for me because they were suuuuuch a good deal ($20, yes!), and I had every intention of getting them tailored to my size. I never did take them in because they’re SO comfortable when I’m feeling bloated. I pair them with a long and low-cut blouse (too feel sexy, of course) and my favorite heels (or tennis shoes..).

• Rachelle November, 20 2012, 9:56 / Reply

Moi ma tenue “go to” quand j’ai gagner du poid. C’est une petite robe evase, des talon tres haut et un blazer. et des rouge a levres.
    xo
    Rachelle

• Colony November, 20 2012, 9:59 / Reply

I don’t have words of wisdom on this one, except for this. Sometimes you just feel fugly– whether it’s a bad hair day, bloat, you’re hung over, or you hate everything in your closet. I just recognize it and try to forget it.

Psst…(but when THAT doesn’t cut it, I just throw on a colorful scarf. That ALWAYS works…)

• jicky November, 20 2012, 10:08 / Reply

ça, faut reconnaître que le boyfriend jeans, c’est carrément le jeans boyfriend, pour les fat days!

• Ambyr November, 20 2012, 10:09 / Reply

This happens more often than I’d like to admit. Usually anything that doesn’t touch my ‘love handles’ (yes, I just said I have them). I actually like to wear skinny jeans on a fat day. Mixing proportions with an oversized top, jacket or flowing top makes my legs feel smaller. Optical illusion.

xoxo

• SCHAB' November, 20 2012, 10:13 / Reply

Ces jours là (en hiver) je mise plutôt sur le total look noir, avec de préférence jupe cuir en agneau hyper souple, cachemire un peu oversize, collants opaques , mes boots “bikers” Free Lance,mais je réhausse le tout avec une grande écharpe fine et colorée.Mais avant tout ça je me fais un rituel”spa” avec gommage, masque et huiles qui sentent bons du type Voile de satin de Dyptique( c’est divin!) et là pour ma part c’est une journée qui commence bien.

• Dea November, 20 2012, 10:15 / Reply

Good advice! But then it’s not like you get home and say: “ok, you fat day, off you go!” and you take off the boyfriend jeans and the shirt and then check your pretty bum into the mirror and s**t!! WHAT???? The fat bum didn’t get off with the jeans?? Mais noooooooon…………………

Then…what? What do you guys do to get rid of the…ahem…fat? (ok, I know, exercise…diet…no cookies, no wine, no sugar, basically, no life…)

• ippo November, 20 2012, 10:16 / Reply

Garance, grazie di esistere, thanks for existing!!
    I am having a fat day and this post was a breath of fresh air!
    Merci!!!!

• Lila November, 20 2012, 10:17 / Reply

What if I can’t pull off the boyfriend’s jeans because ……. I have no boyfriend!!! lol

• kata November, 20 2012, 10:18 / Reply

Well… I think this could work out as a motivation for exercising (see your last post). Whenever I have a fat day, this motivates me even more to lose the weight.
    However, if I am just bloated, I wear some loose clothes, like jeans, a T and an oversized cardigan, with a chocker necklace… just enough to feel pretty :)

kisses
    kata

• Chereshka November, 20 2012, 10:21 / Reply

Great tips for fat day/night clothes. High heels & red lipstick are always helping. And yes, fat day clothes are comfy and it’s easy to become an every day clothes. Haw I stop myself ? Well, I dig out my skinny days jeans and try if they fit.
    (And my boyfriend hates boyfriend jeans*)

*Not that I care what he hates.

• Wanda November, 20 2012, 10:23 / Reply

Les jours de fat , la première chose à laquelle je pense c’est : TALONS ! Ca affine la silhouette et tout d’un coup, j’ai l’impression que mes cuissots qui ressemblaient à 2 gros jambons de Bayonne ressemble de nouveau à des cuisses normales. Avec ça, un jean noir. J’ai la chance d’être grande, donc quand je met des talons, j’ai l’impression que la seule chose que l’on remarque c’est ma taille ! Comme ça on remarque pas trop que j’ai aussi le poids d’une lanceuse de poids …

Et si c’est un de ces jours ou je vais gambader toute la journée, je regarde mes talons en leur disant ” désolée, mais aujourd’hui, je peux pas vous supporter, avec mes 80 kilos apparus mystérieusement dans la nuit, je vais pas y arriver , , rien que de vous voir, j’ai déjà mal aux pieds ”
    Et alors, je met une robe, ajustée à la taille et pas trop courte, avec des collants noirs. Et des boots qui arriveront à supporter mon poids !

• Judith A. November, 20 2012, 10:31 / Reply

I wear a very, very nice handbag in a beautiful color.

• Lisa Marie Diary November, 20 2012, 10:40 / Reply

Un peu pareil ! Un boyfriend, une chemise oversize et la petite paire de converse qui va bien !

• E. November, 20 2012, 10:42 / Reply

I like your advice, but when I wear boyfriend jeans and a men’s shirt, people will think I’m pregnant (I am not very tall and have real hips). My waist is the best part of my body, so I could wear a belt, but then – since it’s a fat day – I would make me look pregnant too! Aaaaah, what to do??

• kitchen afternoon November, 20 2012, 10:55 / Reply

Running shoes – go for a walk! Or the perfect white sauna towel – people never really look in a sauna/cold plunge anyway.

• Karenina November, 20 2012, 11:03 / Reply

Hey Roula,

Try being nine and a half months pregnant, totally swollen, sore and bloated. Nothing fits. Not your jeans, not your shoes, NOTHING. Now THAT’s a problem. Just saying.
    Have fun with your boyfriend jeans and pointy heels, I’ll be over here waiting for this kid to finally get out of me so I can get my body- and my style- back again.

Signed disgruntled pregnant lady who doesn’t care about your “burrito bump” or PMS bloating.

• capucine November, 20 2012, 11:08 / Reply

j’adoooore ce blog !!! à chaque fois que je lis un magasine féminin j’ai l’impression d’avoir déjà lu les mêmes articles 15 fois et quand je viens ici c’est toujours un nouvel angle rigolo qui ne me fait pas culpabiliser de ne pas être une parfaitista :-) JE SUIS FAN

• Krl November, 20 2012, 11:15 / Reply

Oh pétard! Je suis en plein dedans! Et le pire, c’est que ça m’arrive une fois par mois, puisque c’est un syndrome post-boulimie ante-ragnagnas. Du coup, oui, j’adopte aussi le boyfriend, mais avec des petits tops en soie légère légère et fluide ou encore… une robe de femme enceinte trouvée aux fripes (attendez de lire la suite avant de hurler à la mort!) ample et finalement assez décolletée sur les côtés, que je n’avais pas du tout identifiée comme telle jusqu’à ce que je tombe sur l’étiquette “Maternity Plus”. Elle passe pour une robe à la coupe ultra originale sur une femme pas enceinte du tout et du coup… je me sens uuuultra fiiiit! Et le truc ultime, c’est de me faire super jolie, même pour aller acheter mon pain, grâce notamment à un sublime collier ou une fleur dans les cheveux (je vis à la Réunion): ça détourne l’attention et ça me garantit des compliments qui vont regonfler un peu mon égo à la taille proportionnellement inverse à celle de mes fesses!

• Camille November, 20 2012, 11:15 / Reply

Mon dieu, quelle question épineuse. Et moi qui essayait de me persuader que ce jean en 42 était “provisoire”…

• Laurence November, 20 2012, 11:20 / Reply

Quand on est petite, le boyfriend’s jean, forget it!
    Par contre le slim noir reste le meilleur ami car il allonge la silhouette. Mais dessus un grand pull noir. Le mien est vieux comme le monde, je l’ai encore ravaudé ce matin, mais irremplaçable car il a une forme tunique et un col roulé, ce que je ne trouve plus. Donc il me donne bonne mine, je suis blonde, et il ne marque pas les bourrelets. Oubliés aussi les talons hauts, ils raccourcissent la jambe avec un pantalon, eh oui, je vous assure! Par contre, de merveilleuse santiags noires ultra pointues, elles allongent la silhouette, lui donnent définitivement de l’allure.
    Mais ce que j’ai encore trouvé de mieux, c’est le manteau vaste, large et encore mieux s’il est en fourrure. Bien sur, c’est mieux pour l’extérieur et en hiver! Quoique dans les jours frais de printemps avec une tenue légère en dessous, grand tee-shirt et legging, et pieds nus dans des ballerines, ça a beaucoup de charme. Avec des lunettes noires je peux alors affronter les plus mauvais jours.
    Et n’oubliez pas l’existence des manteaux d’été, mais oui, mais oui, cet été j’en avais un en coton et lin corail. Sur du noir, bonne mine assurée et tenue camouflage parfaite.

• Serdane November, 20 2012, 11:22 / Reply

Moi je dirais que pour ces jours où se sent grosse et boudinés, vaut mieux rester chez soi en jogging … ou aller courir … ou encore aller faire du sport … on se résoudre à aggraver son cas en mangeant des marshmallows en écoutant du We are the champion de Queen pour se consoler en se disant que les grosses ont le pouvoir parce que les skinny girls ne l’ont plus !

• emilie November, 20 2012, 11:22 / Reply

Les jours OFF !!!

Je mise sur les fringues qui me font du bien. Celles qui ne doivent plus rien me prouver. Maintenant, elles constituent pratiquement à elles seules mon dressing… Mais ma préférence va à une petite robe rouille avec collants opaques + boots minis talons noirs ce qui allongent ma silhouette déjà grande et gilet noir.

Parfait pour l’hivers, associé à ça un large manteau en polair et fourré, le pied ;)

• claire November, 20 2012, 11:23 / Reply

Et bien voilà, nous la tenons la motivation pour faire du sport ; quand les “fat day” deviennent normaux, il est temps de faire une petite visite à la salle de sport !

• Sabrina November, 20 2012, 11:31 / Reply

Ahh le VENTRE. Mon ennemi juré depuis depuis toujours. Va savoir, j’ai beau gainer, me traîner au sol pour faire des abdos, tout ça tout ça, ben il est toujours là ! Je suis devenue la pro du bidon caché. Chemises en soie, tee-shirt loose, tuniques COS (les meilleures) et vestes étriquées ou droites m’habillent au quotidien. Et puis, heureusement que j’ai mes jambes. Elles, au moins, ont un peu plus de gueule.

• Krl November, 20 2012, 11:41 / Reply

Ah! Et j’oubliais! Histoire d’être tout à fait honnête, les fat days, je mets en moyenne 1h30 pour m’habiller en essayant de trouver la tenue qui dit “Hahaha! (rire en cascade) Je suis naturellement stylée, c’est pas de ma faute, je suis cool et j’assume”. En général, ça se termine ainsi: je finis “AAAAARGH!!! Je devrais déjà être sur le lieu de mon RDV!” pour la 10ème fois en culotte et soutif devant une pile de fringues au sol et finis, immanquablement, par enfiler “l’équipe qui gagne”, c’est à dire, un boyfriend et un top léger léger + un sublime collier ou ma robe Maternity Plus (que je déconseille expressément aux femmes enceintes disposant encore d’une once d’amour-propre) + un beau rouge aux lèvres. Pfffiou… I hate the Fat Days!

• Lilly November, 20 2012, 11:47 / Reply

Les jours de fat day ? Hé bien, je ne sors pas de chez moi ;)
    Non, sans rire, dans ces cas-là, j’évite également les slim qui te rappellent que ce n’est pas le bon jour pour te la jouer fashion et sûre de toi, j’opte illico pour le boyfriend. Eventuellement chemise en soie et ballerines, quelques bijoux et ça passe. En cas de fat&bad day, aka la loose ultime, c’est pull + boyfriend + converse. Carrément (au point en j’en suis de toute façon…).

• Maruska November, 20 2012, 12:37 / Reply

Ohh I love this. You are great Garance!!!

• kat November, 20 2012, 12:37 / Reply

hahaha!!

• Marie November, 20 2012, 12:44 / Reply

Ok, ok, moi aussi je mets des habits qui serrent moins, je me fais un beau chignon, je mets du rouge à lèvres, tout ça, tout ça…mais surtout je vais courir au moins 40 minutes et je passe une journée ou deux au régime salade, fruits, fromage blanc 0% ! J’ai effectivement trop peur que mon jean boyfriend ne devienne mon nouveau slim.

• FW November, 20 2012, 12:46 / Reply

les jours de fat day j’ai l’impression d’avoir un coussin d’appoint à la place du cou, donc je le planque sous un magnifique cheche pour détourner l’attention ! et oui, cheveux impec’ et maquillage précis (en gros pas fait dans le rétro au feu rouge).

• natacha November, 20 2012, 12:51 / Reply

le boyfriend * my love ”
    il mériterai un arcticle rien qu à lui ….
    j en ai beaucoup beaucoup ….mais je cherche toujours le ” parfait ” l unique etc….
    donnez nous des tuyaux pour trouver la perle rare ! please ………

• Betsy November, 20 2012, 1:25 / Reply

Wide leg pants on a fat day are great.

• Marie November, 20 2012, 1:29 / Reply

Chouette conseil ! Merci Garance !
    Et superbe illustration comme toujours :)

Marie

• Rebekka T November, 20 2012, 1:30 / Reply

This is unfortunately becoming more and more applicable to me and my everyday wardrobe.. Thank God for the ever-as-much on trend tomboy look! Allthough I must say it doesn’t work as well with curvier girls like myself.
    You are nonetheless a very talented writer :)
    Love, Rebekka

• Sarah November, 20 2012, 1:32 / Reply

Le boyfriend est mon meilleur ami… Je ne m’en lasse pas. Mais question boulot, les talons ce n’est pas trop ça. Du coup, dans ces jours où j’aimerais tellement prolonger mon sommeil et flâner toute la journée, j’ai une super alternative. C’est pantalon noir droit et converse, un t-shirt et blazer ou un beau petit pull et le tour est joué. Il ne reste plus qu’à passer par la case maquillage, des petits bijoux mais qui font toute la différence, un petit chignon vite fait bien fait et c’est parti pour la journée metro-boulot-dodo ^_^

• Eva November, 20 2012, 1:45 / Reply

Brilliant article! When I have a day like that I choose for my boyfriend jeans too or for a long oversized knit with tights. I wear skinny jeans very often but I actually hat them, they are SO uncomfortable! Always to low that when you don;t have a fat day you still look fat (at least in my case) en they are way to big after wearing it one day! But hey, who want to be pretty…xx

• Jessica November, 20 2012, 1:53 / Reply

Très bonne question !

Je mise moi aussi sur la tenue :)

xx.

• Mnêmosunê November, 20 2012, 2:00 / Reply

Ben en général, moi c’est jean droit (le boyfriend j’ai pas encore essayé, ça me fait peur) foncé, un petit haut décolleté mais pas moulant, mais toute la tenue sera sombre (de toute façon je suis toujours habillée en sombre).
    Un joli maquillage, les cheveux propres et jolis, du parfum et surtout, surtout: le sourire. C’est ça, le meilleur accessoire d’une tenue !

• Denisse November, 20 2012, 2:01 / Reply

Bought a pair of black skinny jeans that are super high waisted. They tuck everything in, so I never feel like its all hanging out! And when everything feels like crap, I keep my winter coat on- all day- if it’s this time of season, and if its in the summer or spring, an oversized tshirt always does the trick.

And I agree with Rebekka, it’s so much harder to pull off an oversized tshirt when your hips wider! Then I feel deformed and like a pumpkin.

• Justin | The Sartorialist November, 20 2012, 2:19 / Reply

When I first read this question, I took it be a bit humorous so a read further. I’m not sure whether a “fat day” is restricted by gender but I’ve found that my transition into the color black and wearing silhouettes that drape more (read: drop crotch pants, asymmetrical t-shirts, baggy outerwear, etc) has caused me to worry a little less about my weight gain or loss (hopefully the latter most days). Although, I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not…putting gym on my 2013 resolutions list.

• Amalia November, 20 2012, 2:59 / Reply

No, No, No. Wear the skinny jeans – the fact that they’re called ‘skinny’ already makes you feel thinner. ‘Wide’ jeans? No, no. I got plenty of wide going on already, I don’t need the extra wide. Just throw a loose, silk blouse on top – hides everything and doesn’t compromise your feminity.

• Marlene @ chocolatecookiesandcandies November, 20 2012, 3:14 / Reply

I never know what to expect when I read your posts. My 6 year old who read this with me thought you were absolutely hilarious and witty. Funnily enough, I’m relying on my boyfriend jeans and shirt, half tucked in to hide the gelatinous wobbly belly (otherwise known as jelly belly). The long sleeves hide my drumsticks (I mean arms). Oh, and buy the boyfriend jeans one size bigger so that you’ll feel better. Oooooh….they’re so loose, I must be losing weight. See? It’s all psychological (my rationale when things don’t go my way).

• Laura November, 20 2012, 3:29 / Reply

Thank you for the advice Garance! Spending extra time on hair and make up always boosts a little confidence. It also helps to slap on some spanx and walk around like your Sophia Loren or Christina Hendricks. Those ladies are faboosh and they know it!

• stephanie November, 20 2012, 4:05 / Reply

I too can relate to this feeling, but I think we should instead be kind to ourselves. Tell yourself that you are gorgeous and fabulous, even on a “fat day”. Don’t buy into the “fat-shaming” of mainstream Western culture, which asks us (women) to take up as little space as possible. Be bold and forgive yourself.

• ines November, 20 2012, 4:06 / Reply

foot fat day haha si si si tu rigoles! quand je marche pas mal on dirait des pains au chocolat tellement c’est gonflé! Sachant que je passes ma vie sur du 10 minimum

• Martina November, 20 2012, 4:07 / Reply

Hahahaah! What to do when your boyfriend jeans start to fit you? That cracked me up. I wish I had special ‘stomach’ jeans…. I guess I never really gain weight EXCEPT for the stomach area! And yes, I’ve been debating taking up pilates (it worked wonders before btw) but somehow I’m too lazy this winter.. Hmm… xxx

• stéphanie November, 20 2012, 4:31 / Reply

En ce moment, je suis presque tous les jours dans un fat day! Ah mais j’y pense, c’est surement parce que j’ai pris quelques kilos… Ma solution devrait être: faire du sport pour les perdre (mais je suis addict aux muffins et au chocolat et moi aussi, il faut me trainer pour aller au yoga) OU accepter (bouh!) et me planquer dans des fringues souples et confo dans lesquelles je ne me sens pas serrée MAIS jolie quand même. Alors je mise sur les collants noirs opaques, les ankle boots (chance, j’ai des longues jambes), une robe fluide et douce… ou le bon vieux pantalon cigarette en velours et un top large en soie! Oui, je ne supporte pas les matières qui grattent aussi, donc ça augmente la difficulté!

• Kate November, 20 2012, 4:41 / Reply

A little dress, but with leggings and boots. An oversized sweater or jacket. Hold a big cup of coffee to make me feel smaller. Ta-da!

• Sarah November, 20 2012, 4:52 / Reply

Alors, moi, j’ai ce que j’appelle les tenues « burger friendly », généralement en prévision de repas copieux, mais qui peuvent aussi servir les lendemains de repas copieux !
    Ce sont plutôt des robes, surtout pas moulantes à la taille : robes t-shirts, coupes sixties (robes trapèze), tailles Empire (donc juste sous la poitrine), etc. Et plutôt courtes.
    Et avec ça une paire de jolis talons, et les cheveux relevés en un chignon flou et volumineux pour allonger la nuque et achever d’étirer la silhouette.
    Pas de pantalons boyfriend de mon côté, donc (je n’ai jamais pratiqué ça : que ce soit un « fat day » ou un « slim day », ça me va tellement mal !).

• Emilie November, 20 2012, 5:37 / Reply

Et le boyfriend t-shirt, on en parle du boyfriend t-shirt? Celui de mien de boyfriend, un Zara blanc tout simple à col un peu évasé, parfait sur un slim avec blazer + sautoir. La tenue idéale pour cacher cette raclette dont il est recommandé d’abuser pour ses bienfaits psychologiques immédiats (mais de très courte durée). Là dessus, tu rajoutes un peu de gym — plus pour être quitte avec ta culpabilité qu’en en espérant de vrais résultats physiques, soyons honnêtes — et hop! prête à recommencer le lendemain. Même pas peur.

• Sevan November, 20 2012, 6:02 / Reply

J’adore lires les commentaires en francais qui, pour une expat’ comme moi, donnent le mal du pays mais qui font tellement de bien lorsque je ris aux larmes !
    D’ailleurs je n’ai rien a leur ajouter !

• Helen@TheStyleSchedule November, 20 2012, 7:07 / Reply

Love the advice… I’m there… keep on wearing the fat day clothes until, hey presto,,, they’re more in sync with where you’re at and what you’re feeling and they do become you’re ‘ go to ‘ clothes because damn it you made them look so chic in the first place and now you’re used to the camouflage, it just works! As for fat foot days… wait til you have a kid and all of a sudden the gorgeous size 36 Prada embroidered sandals are a little toooo snug in the summer-time! doh! what to do??? Thank god for ballet flats! Voila – nonchalant chic! Oh, and jewellery seems to work too – keeps the eye moving all over following the light bouncing off the colourful baubles rather refracting off other surfaces :) But I would keep to the skinny jeans, a bit stretch, and a whole lotta keeping it in!!:)

• Gale November, 20 2012, 7:27 / Reply

After those big holiday dinners, I pull out the black leggings and an extra long button down white shirt, flats or heels depending on what I am doing that day and a big scarf and long necklace. Sometimes a hat as well. I don’t really mind the fat days, as it means I had a great time with family and friends. And then I hit the gym. :-)

• lil November, 20 2012, 8:09 / Reply

Ma meilleure technique: une jupe, ou une robe! J’ai passé tout un hiver comme ça

• Sarah York November, 20 2012, 9:36 / Reply

Oh my gosh. Garance, I have read for so long but never commented. This post is so funny and so true! You give the best advice. Merci!

• Dariann November, 21 2012, 1:06 / Reply

maxi dresses work to camouflage the roundness too :)

• Céline November, 21 2012, 3:25 / Reply

Non c’est pas vrai !! Mais je pensais être la seule à avoir cette stratégie ca me rassure car dans mon entourage j’ai l’impression que les gens se foutent des “fat days” ou ne les connaissent pas.
    Eté comme hiver pour moi c’est robe pour me sentir à l’aise l’hiver avec collants opaque et boots, une robe style “patineuse” et l’été c’est robe longue ou mi-longue (juste au dessous des genoux) avec une paire de compensées. Les robes c’est féminin et pas besoin qu’elles soient moulantes pour être chic donc c’est l’idéal.

• Ave November, 21 2012, 3:31 / Reply

Hahaa, so true! :)
    I <3 your good humor writings and your whole beautifully illustrated and photographed blog of course! Wish you all the best!

• Emmanor November, 21 2012, 3:47 / Reply

CHez moi aussi, c’est le ventre qui gonfle donc je porte un slim bien strech pas trop serré à la taille et un pull un peu blousant !
    Les collants, impossible, ça me fait encore plus gonfler !

• Elizabeth November, 21 2012, 4:40 / Reply

what you usually wear but a forgiving version, and all the grooming must be very good: clean hair, make-up (not tons, but elegantly done) good accessories and a big smile. It’s so easy to slump into despair & make yourself feel worse.
    However, to avoid ever having to go on the big horrible diet, I have to be honest with myself about whether the fat day is an aberation or a sign that I need to be a bit more careful to get back to my normal size. I have a Prada pencil skirt that I try on that doesn’t let me lie to myself at all (I never weigh myself) Thus I think it’s quite dangerous to have “fat clothes” which can give me the excuse to let my size trend up from where I’m happy & healthy. I learned this from my sister who has been a very stable healthy size all her life & doesn’t ever diet: no elasticated waistbands, reasonably fitted clothes of the same size so a little tightness gives an early warning and a few careful days is enough. Imagine, I learned a valuable lesson from my little sister, whatever next?

• Margaux Shops For You November, 21 2012, 4:59 / Reply

Ah les fat days, ils tombent toujours les jours ou on a un meeting important, une soiree, un rencard…J’evite aussi le combo jean/ chemise pcq etant petite, je ressemble carrement a un petit garconnet dans ces jours la. J’opte plutot pour une robe en A avec un joli imprime et des talons. Sans oublier de belles boucles d’oreilles et un oeil de biche. On detourne l’attention!

• Amaia November, 21 2012, 6:10 / Reply

On my fat days I always wear the most comfortable clothes I have (now is a big/thick jumper, any cords, ridding boots and a big coat to conceal as much as I can haha). I find it easier in winter to hide myself in clothes on fat days, than in the summer!

• Anne November, 21 2012, 8:59 / Reply

Just stop thinking, that you would be fat. Do something for your soul: turn off the tv, put away all those photoshopped pictures, read a good book, meet some friends, who love you, eat some fresh fruits, gett off your couch, smell something nice, go dancing. And whatever you will be wearing will be perfect. If you love yourself and your body, there will be no more fat days. You can walk, you can jump, you can breath. So girls stop counting calories an live!

• Imane November, 21 2012, 9:36 / Reply

Un bon rouge à lèvre ok mais associé avec un parfait fond de teint et un excellent anti-cerne….sinon bonjour la figure bien fadasse façon famille Adams ;)

• Angela November, 21 2012, 1:39 / Reply

The red lipstick cure is fantastic, so much better than red wine!

• caroline November, 21 2012, 2:37 / Reply

sorry girls, I don’t have fat days…….. :)

• Devon November, 21 2012, 3:25 / Reply

I go for an A-line dress – something that doesn’t cling…
    then, a blazer on top – open.
    and a nice bright sparkly necklace or earrings so that everyone looks at my face, and not the action happening beneath the blazer and the loose fit dress.

Devon

• Linda November, 21 2012, 3:32 / Reply

i like to wear some loose fitting dress on my fat days. I would wear pants but I don’t like how the waist digs into my stomach and makes me feel more aware that i’m having a fat day :P
    haha but seriously don’t get too comfortable! there was a period of time i was only wearing loose fitting shorts and pretty dresses, i didn’t realize that I gained about 15 pounds! suddenly I couldnt fit into any of my jeans and form fitting tank tops! such a nightmare ^_^

• Lisa November, 21 2012, 5:22 / Reply

Whatever you do, do not wear sweats unless you are heading to the gym! And I agree with Garance entirely. A red lip, gorgeous feet, a smile and some perspective go a long way. Just remember, you are not alone on fat days!

Take it from a chef! LDW

thelamechef.blogspot.com

bikeluvv.blogspot.com

• azrakun November, 21 2012, 5:24 / Reply

You are truly funny.. ! Great this season big nits and oversized everything is in fashion…!

• Paula November, 22 2012, 12:54 / Reply

You made me laugh with your comment ” well for me the aircraft carrier likes to park itself more on the belly region” So true for me as well, especially as i have just turned 50 . AAAAARRRGGGH. So hard to tread that line and stay away from mutton dressed as lamb or mutton dressed as mutton. xx

• Maud November, 22 2012, 3:55 / Reply

Hello !

Peut-être une idée pour aborder la problématique sous un autre angle :

Celui de la matière , la lumière et la structure des habits :
    Matières douces, coupes souples, couleurs neutre pour les fat days : tenue vaporeuse (drapées, fluide, blousantes…), matière douce (cachemire, soie, jersey ).

Les jours où je me sens au top de la forme, des vêtements aux lignes plus structurées et dont les matières et coupes ont plus de tenues et leur couleurs pouvant être plus éclatantes et rayonnantes.

Pour moi, la clé, c’est d’être habillées dans la même énergie que celles dont je me sens, et la structure de mes vêtements doit accompagnée cette énergie.

• Vintage hype November, 22 2012, 4:18 / Reply

J’ai bien aimé le coup du “foot fat days”.
    Ma tenue iéale pour mes fat days = jupe ou robe assez courte (entre mini et courte) + pull large (j’ai des demi fat days, qui concerne juste mes hanche, d’ou l’homologation de la mini)

• Leanette November, 22 2012, 6:08 / Reply

When you start wearing “husband jeans” that it is toooooo late. Personally I worship at the alttar of accessories because I’ve never had a day that a beautiful handbag or a diamond didn’t fit!

• Mariatru November, 22 2012, 12:11 / Reply

I think I just laughed my pants OFF!!!..))

• Maria Paz November, 23 2012, 10:32 / Reply

This is so intense

• Clara November, 24 2012, 6:12 / Reply

Nice post, funny and ‘normal’!! I can definitely relate to it!!!!

• ainhoa November, 24 2012, 6:46 / Reply

merci pour le dessin, il est très beau :)

• Viktoria November, 24 2012, 12:58 / Reply

I think women should stop worrying about their figure. Men cant tell the difference. I thought the french don’t worry about this stuff…. but funny article, for sure.

• Théa Unknown November, 25 2012, 11:54 / Reply

Pour mes fat days, je mise sur un joli jogging avec de belles définition et une matière autre que du pilou-pilou… Un T-shirt blanc, des bijoux doré fins et suptiles! Hop, je me sens un peu mieux…

Théa Unknown

• Meinglitter November, 25 2012, 1:43 / Reply

So you think you have a problem because you get a huge gut during your fat day? Try to switch that to a butt problem during a fat day (I know, I am Brazilian, Jeeez). And then try to do the combo butt + gut and you become a goose, now what???
    Spanx – a way of tricking your body into thinking it’s thinner! There is hope!!
    I know, I know, not too comfortable, but it will do the trick when you have an important soiree or meeting.

meinglitter.blogspot.com

• Alix November, 25 2012, 4:49 / Reply

Tiens c’est drôle, j’ai exactement la stratégie inverse pour les fat days!
    Un slim noir ou une jupe avec des collants opaques portés avec des talons. C’est gaînant, le noir amincit, et je me dis que dans leur inconscient les gens doivent penser “ouah mais cette fille assume tellement ses formes, elle ne peut PAS avoir un gramme en trop!”

Alix – The Modasse Book
    modassebook.wordpress.com

• Sofía November, 25 2012, 8:44 / Reply

haha Garance I love you!! (not the french way)

• Nicole Jordan November, 30 2012, 2:27 / Reply

I tend to wear the suffocating jeans with a looser, more forgiving top. This way it gives me a bit of a reminder that my “fat” day is not my normal, nor will it become my new normal. But the forgiving top tells me “Hey, it happens, and the little bit that pudges out of the top…well, that’s our secret.”

And I’m worth it.

• Maria March, 4 2013, 9:36 / Reply

My fat day clothes, turned into my everyday clothes for a while. But I am changing that.
    Great advice though,