From the Beauty Closet

An Ode to Pore Strips

An Ode to Pore Strips

Okay so this isn’t really an ode, more like a list of all the reasons I think pore strips are the greatest drugstore beauty product of all time…

1. They work! For real!
2. It is strangely satisfying to pull off the strip and see all of the gunk that was once living in your skin now stuck to it.
3. It is also super gross and you’ll feel bad about your skin for like two minutes. Note: You might feel bad for more than two minutes if you are doing it with a friend (on Spa Night) who says, “Oh, there is nothing on my strip! Weird!?!”
4. But then you will get over it because you have clearer pores! Less blackheads! Happy skin!
5. They say (they being beauty people) extractions are the most important part of a facial. So here you go, at home mini facial!

Have you tried them? Do you love them?

PS: I use Bioré Deep Cleansing Pore Strips, get them here!

• The Mask
    The Mask
  • Play Your Part
    Play Your Part
  • Wipe Out
    Wipe Out
  • Overnight Sensation
    Overnight Sensation

• CORY SCOTT April, 23 2013, 12:21 / Reply

Thanks for the tip girl!
    Paris-NYC Fashion Blog
    The Deep Blue Cory Fashion Blog
    The Deep Blue Cory Facebook Page
    Xoxo Cory

• andreea April, 23 2013, 12:21

i also love the blue biore body scrub. i’ll be in japan soon and i’ll stock up :)

• Quinn Cooper April, 23 2013, 12:31 / Reply

I didn’t even know they still made these.
    I used to use them in high school. I could never figure out however whether they were getting rid of blackheads or just ripping my half dry skin on my nose. Maybe they are better now 10 years later.

Quinn Cooper Style

• Rachelle April, 23 2013, 12:39 / Reply

I’ve been thinking that I need to start using those, with summer around the corner my skin will be a hot mess.

xo

• AK April, 23 2013, 12:44 / Reply

Would be curious to know what a dermatologist says about these. Beautypedia says they’re gimmicky and could actually be damaging: “The way these strips adhere, they can injure or tear skin and cause spider veins to surface. They are especially unsafe if you’ve been having facial peels; using Retin-A, Renova, AHAs, or BHA; or are taking oral vitamin A (isotretinoin) for acne; or if you have naturally thin skin or any skin disorder such as rosacea, psoriasis, or seborrhea.”

• prudence April, 23 2013, 12:46 / Reply

Une de mes amies m’avait dit qu’elle connaissait une fille qui avait vraiment beaucoup de poils noirs sur le nez à cause des nose strips. Elle me disait que c’était une genre d’épilation du nez et que les poils repoussaient plus drus et plus foncés après.

Ça m’avait déstabiliser sur le coup, ma mère m’en avait acheté plein et moi et mes soeurs ont s’en faisait tout le temps. J’ai eu peur pendant des années d’avoir les poils du nez drus et noirs!

Depuis, je n’en ai plus jamais fait, mais je garde un genre de fantasme à enlever ses bandes et voir tous le petits points… C’est décidé, je m’en fait un en FDS. Merci Alex!

• Brooke April, 23 2013, 1:34 / Reply

So funny because just last week I went out and bought some remembering how much I used to love them. Everyone girl needs a pore strip every now and again.

• Laura April, 23 2013, 1:39 / Reply

J’ai déjà essayé mais ils ne devaient pas être de super qualité parce que ça n’avait pas vraiment marché! Il faudrait que j’essaie à nouveau avec une bonne marque!

• Jessica April, 23 2013, 1:58 / Reply

J’ai essayé il y a trois ans, j’ai adopté depuis !

xx.

• Denisa April, 23 2013, 2:03 / Reply

I use stripes like that but I didnt try this brand. Looks good.

• mimsy April, 23 2013, 2:10 / Reply

I do love pore strips, but I never can seem to get them to “stick” around the sides of my nose, where the actual blackhead problems are…

• lfr April, 23 2013, 2:18 / Reply

I am a megafan of pore strips. I think using them every week or two or so is way more effective and gentle than extractions or harsh scrubbing. I live in fear they will someday be discontinued, so I will rest a little easier knowing I am not alone, thanks.

• sandra April, 23 2013, 2:44 / Reply

my firt I bought them to les créateurs de beauté’s there’s 20 years
    now my skin is so sensitive then…bye bye !

• Kate April, 23 2013, 3:48 / Reply

I had read that they are not good to use…is it a myth?

• Kyok April, 23 2013, 3:51 / Reply

Oui, plus c’est dégueu, plus je m’extasie !
    Bises
    Kyok

• Heather P. April, 23 2013, 3:55 / Reply

I have used them in the past, and loved them. Not sure why I don’t still use them, but now you’ve got me thinking about it!

• Véronique April, 23 2013, 3:58 / Reply

HAHAHA oh my god I LOVE this! And it’s so true!! Nose strips rule!
    Follow my fashion blog: sourcherrycouture.com

• Megan April, 23 2013, 4:00 / Reply

Wait. Someone – please God! – tell me where pore strips fall into the washing, toning, moisturizing scheme. Do you wash first and then apply the strips – waiting until their removal to tone and moisturize? Getting it wrong seems like it could have dire consequences. I’ve actually considered calling my dermo for a phone consultation on this very subject. Please weigh in!

Also, do y’all tend to abide by the strip-specific purposes, i.e. only using nose strips on your nose and not on your chin. I once used a nose strip on my chin and I think it was too harsh; it resulted in redness and a mini breakout bumpfest.

• Alex April, 23 2013, 4:00

Hi Megan! I use them post-wash but before I use any toner or moisturizer :) When you apply the pore strip, your nose should be a bit wet (it helps the strip stick), so I find it easiest to do right after I wash my face. I’ve actually never tried the chin strips…maybe that will be my next adventure? Hope this helps and thank you for the comment! xo Alex

• Fashion Snag April, 23 2013, 4:07 / Reply

I love the part about the friend saying there is nothing on her strip. So true!

• ohetpuis April, 23 2013, 4:14 / Reply

De mon côté j’en garde un souvenir d’inefficacité durant l’adolescence ! Finalement je testerais bien de nouveau ! Tu as l’art de convaincre en quelques mots !

• Noemi April, 23 2013, 4:16 / Reply

I use Nivea pore stripes, they work quite well, I use them after using a facial sauna.

• erin April, 23 2013, 4:24 / Reply

I was just contemplating getting these at the drugstore.! And now, I’m going to take this post as a sign from god that my pores are clogged and I need to get these stripes! I’m still in denial about my blackheads….but proximity to my mirror is the variable for just how bad my black heads are! oooooooof.

• capucine April, 23 2013, 4:36 / Reply

thanks alex !! i was waiting for this post since you told us about “pore strips” , i used to use them years ago and since i had almost forgotten it existed. i did it yesterday and i loved it ! it is weird to be happy about that but i was so excited that i tried to convince my boyfriend to try it ( i failed of course !!)
    sorry for my bad english, i tried to write in your language so you are not obliged to translate (i am not so sure about this sentence by the way… ;)

i love your beauty posts

• Eva April, 23 2013, 5:55 / Reply

I tried them for the first time recently and must admit I love them too! It looks kind of silly, only like I’ve broke my nose, but they work amazing! xx

• Maureen April, 23 2013, 6:00 / Reply

Actually, they don’t work. They perpetuate the problem. When you rip the strip off your nose, it perpetuates the problem by stretching the pore, allowing it to gather more gunk, then you use a pore strip, and so it goes…..

• Ling April, 23 2013, 6:40 / Reply

I used them several years ago and I could swear that my pores got worse. I believe that the strips also take out some facial hair on your nose which will widen the pores..

• Anastasia April, 23 2013, 7:12 / Reply

I think I’m gonna buy them tomorrow! ) Wonder if Nivea ones are good, cause I think it’s all there is in my local stores.

• Elo April, 23 2013, 7:28 / Reply

Tout pareil Alex, et j’utilise un scrub avant pour faire les faire sortir… Comme ça ils ont tout prêts à disparaître;) Bioré est un très bon choix!

• Agnès April, 23 2013, 7:28

Elo : qu’est-ce qu’un scrub ??

• Yuliya April, 24 2013, 1:03 / Reply

I love Bioré Strips! After hot shower, when pores are still open, for better effect and pill it off slow – the slower, the better (opposite to waxing strips….pain!)
    ‘Nothing’ on the strip can mean that blackheads are not close enough to skin’s surface; pores are not open enough; strip is removed too fast; it is done (secretly) before SPA NIGHT..hahah…; someone has amazingly clean skin and no blocked pores (envy..) :)
    I love them even more when traveling ..’quick-y facial’!

• The slow pace April, 24 2013, 5:15 / Reply

I looooooooooove them! Point number 2 is totally true ;)

• Gita April, 24 2013, 6:15 / Reply

I’m using those regularly, I don’t know if they really help, but sweet mother Mary the feeling when pulling that stripe off… Aaaa, love :D!

• Théa Unknown April, 24 2013, 8:49 / Reply

J’utilise le masque Daiso au charbon, super bien, mais tu me tentes avec les patchs…

Théa

• Mariana April, 24 2013, 9:03 / Reply

I love these! I treat myself to one once in a while.

x Mariana | http://www.goingteen.blogspot.com

• Mariana April, 24 2013, 9:04 / Reply

I love these! I treat myself to one, once in a while.

x Mariana | http://www.goingteen.blogspot.com

• lizaveta April, 24 2013, 9:52 / Reply

alors, moi je suis cette copine:s
    j’ai rien qui reste sur le patch même après 20 min penchée au-dessus du bain vapeur avant l’application…
    par contre épilation du nez est garanti (par des sensations que ça provoque quand on l’arrache, beee)!!du coup j’ai arrêté par peur d’obtenir qch de pire que des points noires après ces épilations en continue…

• sand April, 24 2013, 10:19 / Reply

2. On prend un malin plaisir à enlever le patch et à voir collés dessus tous les trucs infâmes qu’on avait sur le visage.
    C’est exactement ça!
    Par contre moi ça m’ennerve qu’ils vendent que 6 patchs par “paquets”. On pourrait en mettre 30 dedans!!

• Camille April, 24 2013, 10:58 / Reply

OMG i LOOOOOVE THESE STRIPS! do you ever hold the strip sideways and look at the stuff stuck to it when you’re done? (dont judge me) it’s kind of fascinating in a gross way. its like “whoa, THAT’S in my face?”

• Newborn Fanatic April, 24 2013, 4:31 / Reply

Haha I used to use them all the time in high school!! It was always gross and fun to see all the blackheads stuck on the pore strip after I strip it off. :P

• meet me on the sunny road April, 24 2013, 5:34 / Reply

Such a coincedence! I tried a DIY pore strip just yesterday, with whipped egg-white. Like you, I’m a big fan of that moment when you rip off the strip and see all the gunk on the inside of the strip, but I always felt they were a little harsh and it seem to actually do all that much for my skin in the long run. But the DIY pore strip is much gentler! I only tried it once so I haven’t gotten the hang of it yet (there was the usual gunk on one side but nothing on the other, I think I was just impatient and didn’t let it dry properly) but it felt really good and my skin looks great too! And it promises to make your pores stronger in the long run but I can’t tell you if that’s actually true just yet. I read about it here (for instructions): http://www.thelovevitamin.com/8823/cheap-easy-natural-blackhead-solution/

• urja April, 24 2013, 7:21 / Reply

i use them on my nose and chin. it feels so good to get rid of all the gunk!

• Lupita April, 25 2013, 12:12 / Reply

If you want to do your own strips in home, you can mix Unflavored gelatin and milk, it really works !

• meligrosa April, 27 2013, 8:02 / Reply

if it lives in my skin it is for a reason, i dont mess with my face nor scrub it as i dont feel it is natural to do so, it’s ok other people dont do/feel the same. the beauty of differences!
    i wear hats and drink tons of water, im pretty happy with my face, gunk and all.

• Behind the Mirror April, 28 2013, 2:05 / Reply

I love them!!! You can also make pore strips yourself!!! The steps are easy to do from this post: