From the Beauty Closet

Cleansing Oil

Cleansing Oil

My current beauty obsession? Cleansing oils.

I’ve recently swapped my cleanser and Clarisonic routine for a cleansing oil. At first I was like, “You (‘you’ being the Sephora counter) want me to put some oil all over my face and that’s supposed to feel clean?” But you know what, it totally does. It feels like my makeup is melting off of my face, without any scrubbing or irritation. You apply the oil to dry hands and a dry face and gently massage in. Of course, you rinse it all off afterwards, but it leaves my skin feeling super moisturized, squeaky clean and brighter than it has in a long time.

Have you tried a cleansing oil? What do you think?

PS: My current favorites are Tatcha Camellia Cleansing Oil and One Love Organics x Elizabeth Dehn Vitamin B Enzyme Cleansing Oil. If you are new to the game, I highly recommend them!

• Souvenir from Tulum
    Souvenir from Tulum
  • Tan Lines
    Tan Lines
  • The Brush
    The Brush
  • The Bottom Lashes
    The Bottom Lashes

• mademoiselle mauve August, 20 2013, 12:30 / Reply

je suis une grande fan d’huile depuis toujours. la Deep Cleansing Oil de DHC est un must, elle est top :)

• CORY SCOTT August, 20 2013, 12:30

The best cleansing products EVER are by Clinique. No spots on my face since 1999!
    Just kidding, but it’s been a long time though.

Wanna visit my blog and check my flawless skin? ;-)

Xoxo Cory

• andreea August, 20 2013, 12:30

i’ve heard a lot about face oils this year :)

• phoebe August, 20 2013, 12:48 / Reply

DHC cleansing oil is one of the original favorites! It really does feel better, I tend to do cleansing oils in the winter for that extra boost of moisture.

• Alina Savin August, 20 2013, 12:48

I made my own cleansing oil (mixing essential oils is very fashionable here in New Zealand): almond oil – rose oils – one drop of neroli oil (very expensive unfortunatelly)!

• kcm August, 20 2013, 12:52 / Reply

I love Bobbi Brown’s Soothing Cleansing Oil! Smells like a dream and cleans all traces of makeup off. Rinses with water…..I love how quick and easy it is!

xox from typicalwishes

• mlle August, 20 2013, 12:54 / Reply

Moi c’est huile d’avocat bio avec deux trois gouttes d’huile essentielle! pour me démaquiller et hydrater
    Et je nettoie ma peau avec un savon doux à la Glycerine ou au miel! = soins minimaliste

Ca ne vaut aucune crème ni autre produit de beauté junk !!!
    Il existe autant de produit de beauté junk que de produits alimentaire sur le marché.

Moins pour plus. Et niveau mobilité on se sent plus légère quand on prépare son vanity.

L’art de la simplicité!

• Jessica August, 20 2013, 12:57 / Reply

Je n’étais pas fan mais rien que cet article m’a donné envie d’essayer !

xx.

• anise August, 20 2013, 12:57 / Reply

DHC all the way. and I have red, oily/combo skin (everything a girl wants, right?) I was a skeptic too, but am a new convert.
    also – this is my new product obsession: anything john masters : http://www.amazon.com/John-Masters-Organics-Vitamin-Anti-Aging/dp/B000Z606EO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1377017819&sr=8-9&keywords=john+masters

• Bonnie August, 20 2013, 1:25 / Reply

Je ne jure que par l’huile DHC! Elle sent bon l’huile d’olive, elle est ultra-efficace et elle enlève TOUT le maquillage. Radical.
    D’ailleurs, j’ai fait un post dessus: http://bonnie-garner.com/2013/05/25/le-demaquillage-a-la-japonaise-lhuile-demaquillante-dhc/

• Angie August, 20 2013, 1:30 / Reply

The best is Shu Uemura!

• So August, 20 2013, 1:54 / Reply

Ma préférée : celle de Evidens de Beauté, marque franco-japonaise. Chère mais dure 3 mois au moins. Et contient des actifs anti-âge. Efficace et agréable !

• Laura August, 20 2013, 2:07 / Reply

Women have been using oils to cleanse for many centuries. Cold cream is just water suspended in oil and has been around since the time of the Romans: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_cream

Everything old is new again!

• AnneElise August, 20 2013, 2:18 / Reply

Organic coconut oil from the grocery is my cleanser; wash with a warm wash cloth, and maybe some Rose toner. Organic sesame oil I put on before showers, and then use white rice flour as a scrub. Organic rosehip oil from New Zealand is the best moisturizer…fine lines have disappeared…and I’m in my 50′s!!

The Hawaiians (who by and large have GORGEOUS skin) have used coconut oil as their primary cleansing agent for ages.

And Curly Girl advice rescued my daughters’ ringlets with the advice to avoid all shampoos, and use conditioner instead…ringlets with no frizz or broken ends

• Erin Johnson August, 20 2013, 2:20 / Reply

As someone who has oils all over my bathroom from coconut oil cooked with gotukola, neem, sunflower, whipped ghee with rose (I work with a company specializing in traditionally crafted Ayurvedic Oils), I have found nothing better then oil to cleanse the face and remove makeup. The oils have a fabulous way of actually softening the pores and drawing the dirt out. Combine with yogurt, rose water, honey, lemon–some of the simplest things are the most healing and heavenly. And not all the unneeded chemicals!

Erin

• Quyen August, 20 2013, 2:25 / Reply

I use the original, one and only, cleansing oil: extra virgin olive oil. It is the BEST. I water it down a bit with Thayer’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner. (no alcohol) It takes off all the makeup. I then wash my face with my regular cleanser.

• Natalie August, 20 2013, 2:41 / Reply

And after cleansing oil it’s good to use BABOR Baborganic Biological Enzyme Cleanser. This is enzime powder. It cleans and peels one shot.

• Porcelaine August, 20 2013, 2:42 / Reply

J’adore aussi, ma peau sensible préfère vraiment un démaquillage à l’huile plutôt qu’avec un coton.
    Très jolie illustration.
    Bises !

• Janelle Andrea August, 20 2013, 2:57 / Reply

The best cleansing oil I’ve tried is from Amore Pacific! It literally melts any makeup and dirt from my skin, and leaves my face so soft and supple.

• susan t. August, 20 2013, 3:49 / Reply

I swear by Shu Uemera!

• Marine August, 20 2013, 3:55 / Reply

L’huile démaquillante DHC, Deep Cleansing Oil FOREVER !
    Depuis que je l’ai essayée après avoir lu des reviews un peu partout, je ne la quitte plus.
    J’ai la peau mixte et elle ne graisse vraiment pas, tout en retirant parfaitement le maquillage.
    Bref, LE bon plan.

• Lison August, 20 2013, 4:12 / Reply

J’avoue que ça ne m’ai jamais venu à l’esprit de tester ce genre de produits… mais pourquoi pas après tout si ça marche vraiment!!
    xx http://wildlysweet.blogspot.fr

• delphine August, 20 2013, 4:15 / Reply

huile sensai de kanebo, retirée avec la petite “serviette” assortie, puis 2e temps à la japonaise avec la crème nettoyante de la même gamme. c’est très efficace et le démaquillage est un plaisir.

• DELHISS August, 20 2013, 4:34 / Reply

L’huile démaquillante DHC est top. Peau sublime après.

• Christine August, 20 2013, 4:53 / Reply

Les marques japonaises sont visiblement les meilleures pour les huiles démaquillantes mais elles sont très chères. Personnellement je trouve celle de chez MUJI parfaite, et plus accessible, par contre on ne la trouve que dans certaines boutiques (dont celle du Marais à Paris).

• Alexandra August, 20 2013, 4:56 / Reply

Shue Uemura, just started a few weeks ago.. but it’s great :-) Even Mr. Boyfriend is a fan (just saying)!

• Laurie August, 20 2013, 5:01 / Reply

Dermalogica makes a pre-cleanse oil that’s amazing. I was also skeptical at first, but it really makes your face feel so clean and when you don’t use it, you realize the difference…plus it makes taking off waterproof mascara much easier!

• teresa August, 20 2013, 5:12 / Reply

I completely agree!

• elise August, 20 2013, 7:13 / Reply

Je change tous les soirs! Un coup rose musquée, un coup figuier de barbarie, un coup camélia… Le tout pour 5 euros la bouteille sur Aromazone, ou en boutique bio, ma peau est nickel.
    Souvent je mets un pschit d’hydrolat avant (surtout rose ou basilic)

• Binette August, 20 2013, 9:38 / Reply

Sinon il y a l’huile de jojoba naturelle et budget friendly!

• ShibaGirl August, 20 2013, 10:17 / Reply

I’ve been making my own cleansing oils. I’ve found that the purer and less processed the better. What I find that is fascinating is that different oils have different properties. Some oils pull more nature oils out than others. So you can custom make your oils for how oily or how dry your skin is. This site is helpful: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com

• karacocoa August, 20 2013, 10:17

I’ve been using the OCM for about two weeks now, and I’m loving it. And there’s no need to spend on high end names either.

• Lansky Remy August, 20 2013, 10:31 / Reply

Je ne vais pas encore me lancer dans les huiles nettoyantes. J’utilise l’huile d’argan et l’huile de coconut pour mon visage et le reste de mon corps, ainsi que l’huile de l’olive pour mes cheveux. Un jour je me lancerai :)

• Sushi Cat August, 20 2013, 11:05 / Reply

I absolutely love cleansing oil!
    After years of experimenting with make up removing techniques I came to realise you need oil to remove make up properly (especially make up that contains SPF) and I feel it is the only thing that reaches the dirt that’s in the pores.
    So far I have tried only Shu Uemura but I am intrigued to try the Kanebo combination (Step1 Oil Step2 Cleansing cream) as commented above..

Olive oil sounds great too but I never managed to take it down from my face properly, even with a cleanser…

Love the beauty posts!

xoxo

• Eva August, 20 2013, 11:10 / Reply

Dermalogica PreCleanse!

• Luna August, 21 2013, 2:59 / Reply

I have a question if you cleanse with oil do you need to do something else after or are you good to go?

• Linda August, 21 2013, 3:37 / Reply

It’s always so fun to read what goes on in the rest of the world, beauty-wise. Out here in Asia, we’ve been using cleansing oil for years…. i mean, i’ve been using Shu Uemera cleansing oil since my teenage years…. erm, decades ago! But of course, in the Western world now you are using oil serums… and that, just takes a leap of adapting for us Asians who have to deal with humidity. xoxo

• psabi August, 21 2013, 3:41 / Reply

Ma préférée :
    L’huile lactée démaquillante Melvita
    (Huile de rosier muscat, extrait de roses fraîches, essence végétale de rose)
    Et le tout BIO !

Personnellement, je passe d’abord l’huile sur le visage et les yeux, puis je mouille mes mains et je masse doucement le visage en faisant des ronds pour créer une émulsion. Ensuite, je rince plusieurs fois avec un carré en éponge passé sous l’eau tiède. Une bonne brumisation d’eau d’Avène, séchage en tamponnant avec une autre serviette sèche et application du sérum et/ou de la crème de nuit.

La sensation de confort est incomparable et lorsqu’on voit l’éclat de sa peau après ce type de démaquillage, on a envie de jeter par la fenêtre laits, cotons démaquillants et eaux micellaires !

• Ninie Pouce August, 21 2013, 4:11 / Reply

Moi j’ai choisi l’huile de noisette, bon pour les peaux à problèmes et carrément pas cher.

• anna August, 21 2013, 4:25 / Reply

Shu Uemura la Rolls Royce de l’huile démaquillante ! Jamais trouvé mieux !!

• APM August, 21 2013, 5:11 / Reply

Alex, le layering japonais est fait pour toi alors ! Ça consiste en un nettoyage à l’huile, puis rinçage et re-nettoyage avec un savon doux, après il y a l’étape lotion, plus sérum, plus contour des yeux et enfin, crème hydratante (Oui ça parait assez compliqué, mais en fait non, pas du tout !!! Et puis la peau est superbe après un mois de layering :)).

• Angelique Jennifer August, 21 2013, 5:15 / Reply

Great timing, I’m actually looking for a cleansing oil. I’ve never tried them but heard wonders…

• Portia August, 21 2013, 5:16 / Reply

I’m a newbie to cleansing oil but I’m on the lookout for a new cleanser so I’ll definitely be giving that organic one a go! Thank you for the recommendation!

• Nomadic D. August, 21 2013, 6:20 / Reply

I’ve heard so much about cleansing oils, but as someone with break-out prone skin of course they scare the crap out of me. But on the other hand, as a product junkie I’m inevitably drawn to the concept. One question for all you oil cleanser user though: you rinse it off afterwards? Does the oil actually come off when you rinse with water? Or do you have to use another cleanser to get it off?

• claire August, 21 2013, 6:20 / Reply

dans la catégorie bio, je conseille l’huile melvita a la rose qui est super, et pas chère
    sinon le baume nettoyant REN est parfait aussi !(le baume agit comme une huile )

• carole August, 21 2013, 7:20 / Reply

Dior has one as well….

• carole August, 21 2013, 7:20

thank u alex and to all who shared just order DHC oil….best beauty tips xx

• Ania @ The New Diplomat's Wife August, 21 2013, 8:19 / Reply

I had the exact same reaction but recently tried the Shu Uemura cleansing oil and it’s true what they say…its’ good good good. you can even use it on the bod for a nice moisturized sheen too….almost eliminates the need for lotion after…

• Isa August, 21 2013, 8:47 / Reply

Je vais commencer par acheter le super mascara dont tu parlais l’autre jour et ensuite je passerais à l’huile nettoyante ;)

Isa

• Sade August, 21 2013, 8:54 / Reply

Oh yeah! And the Dermatologica’s one is the best.

Sade

• Kim August, 21 2013, 10:29 / Reply

I love Clarins’ pure melt cleansing gel. Its a thick balm which as you massage into your face turns into an oil and once you splash your face with water turns to a milk. Smells gorgeous and great on dry skin.

• Peachylau August, 21 2013, 10:44 / Reply

I love the l’oreal one! So good and affordable. I wrote a review on it. You can find it at the following link: http://peachylau.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/loreal-skin-perfection-miracle-cleansing-oil/

• ali August, 21 2013, 11:24 / Reply

using shu umera!
    and it has been so good! leaves my face NOT dry like foaming cleansers. just feels awesome!

• Greta August, 21 2013, 12:37 / Reply

Suti Organic Cleansing Oil is soooo lovely. It has a light citrus scent which I love at the end of the day, as well as the texture.

My skin looked and felt better within 2 weeks of incorporating this into my routine!

Alex, do you use a muslin cloth to wipe off your cleanser? I find that works better than just regular water + my hands, and it feels a little like an exfoliant that way.

• Marcia August, 21 2013, 2:37 / Reply

Josie Maran’s Argan Oil!!!! Excellent!

• Mannabelle August, 21 2013, 5:34 / Reply

Quand j’étais petite je souriais tout le temps car j’étais de bonne composition et aussi parce que je voulais qu’on m’aime. Puis j’ai fait le clown au collège, la rebelle au lycée, l’excentrique à la fac, toujours parce que je voulais que l’on me remarque et que l’on m’aime. Je passais des heures au téléphone avec mes amis et je ne dirais jamais non.. Puis j’ai eu besoin de me réaliser professionnellement, et j’ai bossé comme une dingue au détriment de ma vie privée.
    Aujourd’hui je continue à me stresser parce que j’ai de la cellulite, que je ne fais plus du 36, que je ne gagne pas assez, que je prends des rides, que je ne suis pas assez reconnue dans mon travail, à culpabiliser parce que je ne travaille jamais assez, que je ne suis pas assez présente pour ceux que j’aime, que je craque sur la bonne bouffe, les verres de trop, les clopes… Alors merci pour cet article qui fait du bien et me rappelle que la perfection est ennuyeuse et que grâce à ça je dois être passionnante ! ^^
    Et vive Sex in the city !!!

• Supertomate August, 21 2013, 5:40 / Reply

J’ai la Origins, elle est bien, nettoie bien, sent bon, se dissout dans l’eau en un quart de seconde et coute pas cher (24$ le flacon, qui dure 6 mois minimum, je pense)

• Audrea Rachelle August, 21 2013, 7:17 / Reply

Hmm…to stick to Caudalie like Garance said or to not…
    I love love the Caudalie cream cleanser I just got in Paris – it’s not straight oil, but it leaves my face feeling like it! Highly recommended, especially in the winter months.

Audrea Rachelle
    Fine-Tooth Comb

• Newborn Fanatic August, 21 2013, 9:47 / Reply

I haven’t tried oil cleansers yet but keep hearing about it! Really interested in trying out that Tatcha.
    WOuld I have to rinse my face with a foam cleanser afterwards??

• maya August, 22 2013, 4:09 / Reply

There’s this fabulous product from Clarins that is so practical and efficient that I am always wondering why it’s not more popular. It’s called Nettoyant à l’huile de Marula. It’s a gel, in a tube. When you massage it into your skin it becomes an oil. It dissolves everything, then you can rinse it with water. When you add water it becomes milky. After having tried almost everything from Sh Uemura to Caudalie to Melvita, I can confidently say that nothing compares to this one. Give it a try Alex and tell us what you think…

• Tracyann Lek August, 22 2013, 7:01 / Reply

Hi Alex,

I’ve been using oil to cleanse my face for nearly 20 years, I wouldn’t use anything else! It cleans make-up off easily, doesn’t strip your skin or leave it feeling dry or irritated, balances out oily skin, it’s fantastic! I often get asked what I use on my skin.

I use Hema Oils which are hand blended by my lovely friend Margaret Hema, in Wellington, New Zealand. She sends product all over the world :)
    Check out her website http://www.hemaproducts.com/indexmain.htm

p.s. Her facials are amazing!

• Marie August, 22 2013, 8:02 / Reply

Le démaquillant tonic express de chez Clarins… un corp gras et un tonic, même plus besoin de crème ;)… et si malgré tout ma peau est trop déshydratée, il reste l’huile d’argan bio que je n’achète qu’au Maroc (pas de l’huile frelatée que l’on trouve dans toute les boutiques bio en France qui ne ressemble plus du tout à de l’huile d’argan).

• Effie August, 22 2013, 1:36 / Reply

Je dis OUI aux huiles démaquillantes! A condition de bien la rincer et la nettoyer avec un savon quand même. Depuis que j’ai rapporté des huiles de Corée, j’adore tester leur cosmétique, en ce moment c’est l’huile à la pomme d’Innifree :)

• Théa Unknown August, 23 2013, 9:03 / Reply

Pour le moment j’utilise celle de chez L’Oréal car peu coûteuse, mais je changerai sûrement à la fin du flacon pour quelque chose de plus bio !

Théa

• Rovanio August, 23 2013, 7:07 / Reply

SHU UEMURA is my staple cleansing oil. It has saved my skin. I used to have severe acnes and an endless relationship with it at that. Since I used it, My skin cleared up and now I rarely have any pimples, I have tried almost all of their version and my favorite one is the green one. I have been using it for 7 years I love that it cleans so easily and leave the skin feeling hydrated. (sorry- gushing over cleansing oil here lol) bottomline, I highly reccomend that you try it! <3

• Holly August, 24 2013, 3:28 / Reply

in Asia we have been using cleansing oil for a long time, even a cheap one from drugstore brands(approx USD8/ 300ml) can do a good job. but not every skin type gets along with cleansing oil.
    wish they have this great product in EU market. i had a hard time finding cleansing oil (actually impossible to find) and a great foamy cleanser in Germany. luckily I am back to Hong Kong now!!!!

• Noemi - WeBelieveinStyle August, 25 2013, 6:38 / Reply

I love cleansing oils! They work well and they’re so delicate (and leave skin so soft).

• jenny white August, 25 2013, 8:41 / Reply

just plain old olive oil does the job….and skin is fantastic in the morning…

ditched all cleansers and mositurizers. This does the trick.

For extra oil sometimes I add rosehip seed oil….

• MKA0411 August, 26 2013, 6:32 / Reply

Cleansing oil is HUGE in Asia. It seems counterproductive but you fight oil with oil!

I have tried many, but I recommend Kose Softymo Cleansing Oil (you can buy on amazon). It’s cheap and works better than the more expensive ones in my opinion. The trick is to let it emulsify (turning milky white when a bit of water is added) THEN wash off completely. I remove makeup with oil, then scrub with my clarisonic. My skin has never looked better, seriously.

• Behind the Mirror August, 28 2013, 10:51 / Reply

I have been dying to try a cleansing oil vs. a foam scrub. Thanks for the recommendations! When you first switched your routine did you have any breakouts, or was it just smooth sailing?

• Rebecca Butcher August, 28 2013, 10:51

I switched to oil cleansing last year, and it’s amazing! I suffer from cystic acne, and this helped my skin more than prescriptions alone. After two days, it was smooth sailing.

And forget paying tons of money for the stuff, get castor oil, olive oil, and a drop or two of tea tree. Start with 50/50 olive/castor, and add more castor oil if you’re breakout-prone, or less if you have dry skin.

• FAY August, 31 2013, 12:56 / Reply

Shu Umera forever! Depuis que j’ai connu cette huile (5ans), je ne la quitte plus! A acheter à HK chez Sasa, c’est beaucoups moins cher. :)

• Johanna September, 16 2013, 10:53 / Reply

Where did you buy the One Love Organics x Elizabeth Dehn Vitamin B Enzyme Cleansing Oil? I desperately want to try it and it is not for sale in Europe. My friend is heading over to New York this week and I’m hoping she can pick one up for me!

• Natalie October, 31 2013, 1:21 / Reply

Quel joli dessin, Garance! Je l’adore!

• Marie March, 11 2014, 2:08 / Reply

J’ai utilisé de l’huile pendant très longtemps et cela a considérablement abimé l’etat de ma peau!

A force huile + nettoyant ont sollicité ma peau outre mesure! Aujourd’hui, j’ai dû aller chez le Dermato à cause de boutons (je n’en ai jamais eu avant…..)

Mais j’adorais l’utiliser….;(