heathermary-jackson-2

I like pretty much everything that Heathermary Jackson wears in this photo (actually, all of it. I like all of it) but that’s not so surprising because I like everything she does as a stylist.

Her short bob she recently dyed red, her big white vintage shirt, open in the back…

And her Balenciaga boots. Aaaaah, those things have stuck with me, let me tell you…

I think I’ll probably end up giving in and getting a pair of these machine guns (what else would you call a pair of shoes this big?). Or maybe I’ll get the Saint Laurent ones which are also extra good (can you tell I just spent 72 hours reading all the September issues?) or maybe just a pair of simple military boots.

I mean honestly though, I have this fear that all these are gonna be too heavy for me.

What do you think?

• H&M Sandals
    H&M Sandals
  • What about the bra?
    What about the bra?
  • Shopping Cart : Lady
    Shopping Cart : Lady
  • A Color Story
    A Color Story

• Cristina ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:03 / Reply

She has a great style! I love these boots on her but but I think they are not easy to wear. For me are too big!

• CORY SCOTT ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:03

These boots are HIDEOUS!! But some people like her manage to make them look AMAZING! What’s up with that??

Xoxo Cory

• andreea ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:03

the boots are cool. when i first saw them, i was glad somebody got it. and the success of the design shows it! :)

• Jeanne Berre ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:06 / Reply

Chaussures parfaites avec ce type de look, personnellement un peu trop mastoc, difficile √† porter avec autres tenues. J’aime beaucoup la chemise, une belle id√©e quant √† la porter devant-derri√®re.

• Jane with the noisy terrier ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:07 / Reply

I’m not a fan of the Balenciaga boots–I think their moment (like the ubiquitous Isabel Marant wedge sneakers) has come and gone. I guess I’ve just seen them on too many bloggers. And now Zara has knocked them off. I’ll pass.

• zozo ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:09 / Reply

Amazing look: strong and feminine at the same time…
    Love the boots, but not for me: it is cute on a petite girl (which I’m not…)

• Alina Savin ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:09

Oh wow everything about this outfit is strange. The hair colour, the shape of the shirt and the boots, everything. but somehow maybe it works.

Style in Corsica: http://alinasavin.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/visiting-my-family-in-ajaccio.html

• Meghan ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:12 / Reply

I think when you have doubts about a bold piece (a bold pair of boots…) it’s best to stay away, at least until the doubts have been allayed. Because if you’re going to wear it, you have to own it.

• Victor Stonem ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:15 / Reply

I love her Balenciaga boots, they look very nice!!

• Coralie de Made In SisterS ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:18 / Reply

look de cette fille! juste génialement osé!
    alors pour ces bottines, je les ai √©galement rep√©r√©es depuis belle lurette mais j’ai peur que √ßa m’alourdisse la silhouette, faudrait que je les ai aux pieds pour voir!
    bisous

• Consuelo ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:23 / Reply

Je trouve ces chaussures affreuses !

• lavinia ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:24 / Reply

I prefer the saint laurent boots and don’t like the balenciaga ones. But…:) what’s your personal taste?

• FLAMME ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:28 / Reply

These boots are not very nice….

• matchingpoints ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:29 / Reply

La coupe de cheveux, la chemise, tout est bien sauf … les chaussures ! Trop lourdes, trop mastocs, m√™me si ce sont des bottines balenciaga. Comment vous les appelez,une “paire d‚Äô√©crase-merde” ? Cela arrange peu de silhouettes…

• kcm ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:33 / Reply

Wow! So fresh and fun! Love her nonchalance, the fabulous boot, glasses, handbag, partially untucked white shirt….her great hair! I am inspired!! Wonderful photo that I can’t stop looking at for all the details! Merci!!

xox kcm

• severine ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:36 / Reply

Affreux, affreux affreux affreux….
    Ces chaussures sont √©paisses, pas f√©minines, bouh…n’aime pas n’aime pas du tout ! on dirait des chaussures de spationaute. D’ailleurs, les termes dans ta phrase sont parlants “stupide, √©crase merde, grosse, militaire”
    voil√† c’est dit :-)

• Rahel ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:38 / Reply

D√©sol√©e Garance mais cette fois je ne suis pas du tout d’accord avec toi, je trouve ces chaussures absolument horribles !!

Bon continuation, continue à nous épater :)

• Cmoi ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:44 / Reply

Hahahahah!! T’es trop marrante ma petite Garance! Et le style un peu grunge de cette fille est sublime!!
    √áa me rappelle les ann√©es ’90 au lyc√©e ou je portais des Docs avec des petites jupette et les chemises de mon grand fr√®re.
    Bisous! x x x…

• Ahmaily ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:46 / Reply

Personnellement, et comme les deux dernières personnes, je trouve ces chaussures hideuses ;)

• Nina ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:48 / Reply

Il faut absolument de fins mollets pour ça! Ce que tu as!!
    Bises…

• Harley Quinn ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:51 / Reply

‚ÄúFashions fade, style is eternal.‚ÄĚ
    ? Yves Saint-Laurent
    or
    ‚ÄúFashion changes, but style endures.‚ÄĚ
    ? Coco Chanel

• LUBA ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:58 / Reply

Tose shoes are awful and anti- feminine, but there is still lot of style in them

XX Luba

Urban chic looks and style ideas, every day on

• jessica ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:58 / Reply

You can totally handle those boots…for the sake of fashion!
    Your Friend, Jess

• Senni ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 9:59 / Reply

Les Balenciaga… Ca ne me fait pas r√™ver sur la demoiselle, mais sur Caroline Blomst, oui… :)) Mais j’aime beaucoup la chemise.

• Quyen ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:07 / Reply

I’ve never been a grunge fan, even if it is trendy. It is editorial, but in real life, I don’t think it is practical or flattering. I think fashion should elevate your features.

• Shari ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:12 / Reply

Love Combat Boots, Love Dr. Martens. Really, fking seriously dislike those Balenciagas! They are part of the ugly shoe trend…you won’t wear them more than a few weeks and then you will throw them under the bed because of the disgusted look Scott will give you anytime you want to wear them. Sometimes the boyfriends are not so wrong with their opinions, right?

• Maggie ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:12 / Reply

If they’re too heavy, maybe just have them for special occasions? I’d love to see them with a light pink dress!
    -Maggie
    maggiefinejewelry.com

• Lizzie ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:13 / Reply

Go for it! You won’t know until you try. I personally looooove heavy shoes. These Balenciaga shoes are so cool and I find them a bit retro (80s). Heathermary has great style. I totally dig that big, white shirt. I am thinking about raiding my husband closet, scissors in hand. Great post, G!

• Sevan ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:20 / Reply

J’aurais prefere des wingtips Doc Martens en black and white.
    J’aime beaucoup la chemise.

• Najiba ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:28 / Reply

La coupe de cheveux check, la tenue et le sac √† main double check mais alors les chaussures bippppp…. comment dire √ßa me fait penser au style grunge/punk des ann√©es 90 et au groupuscule “skinhead”, le seul point positif c’est que ces chaussures sont un tr√®s bon self d√©fense. La bise.

• Judith A. Ross ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:31 / Reply

I’ve always loved that look — it appeals to my inner tomboy. Sadly, though it doesn’t work with my legs. I do think you could carry it off, Garance, if you wanted to. You have the long legs and strong calves that will balance out the heavy shoe…..

• Le Bureau de Mode ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:32 / Reply

Mais, mais, c’est quoi des “bottes militaires” ? Des rangers ? Quitte √†, je les pr√©f√®re toutes √©pur√©es, mod√®le de base.
    Et après 35 ans ? Ne faut-il pas être toute gracile du haut, genre faon, donc jeune et jolie, pour porter ça élégamment ?
    (tu es belle et pas vieille, hein, tu m’as compris)

• Agr8song ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:42 / Reply

Love it all the way…amazing style !
    thanks

• Jana H. ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:42 / Reply

I think that the white-black-red combi has become not just a classic, but a legendary combination by now! Red lips or shoes are always a magical touch, if it’s THE red that suits you (because there are so many nuances that you like, but don’t really work with your skin tone, or hair…). And white or black, of course you can always use, no matter what age!!

Love her style, but the booties are not really my thing…look amazing on her though.

Jana H.

• Nathalie ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:44 / Reply

Les Buckle Boots de Balenciaga ! Tellement parfaites !
    M√™me nos chers B√©ru ( Les B√©ruriers noirs pour les plus jeunes) n’ont jamais √©t√© aussi punk de la shlape (chaussure pour les versaillaises)
    Elles se portent divinement avec n’impote quoi !

Je veux bien écraser de la crotte avec elles ! Quel luxe.

• Marcia ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:46 / Reply

I love this look, wear it while you can! I’m too old, lol

• florence ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:47 / Reply

Oui pour faire de la rando peut-√™tre! Sinon, c’est pas mal en photo…mais dans la vraie vie permets moi d’emettre un doute….C’est un peu comme les Birkenstock √† poil de chez C√©line! C’est de la pompe de d√©fil√© ou pour faire un shooting mode…Cela dit √† toi Garance on te pardonnera tout ;)

• dodo ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:48 / Reply

Just go and get some DocMartin-s!

• L'Oliphant ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:52 / Reply

Superbe look, mais les shoes ne passent vraiment pas, elles me font trop penser à mes années teenage!

• Dynath ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 11:14 / Reply

Pour une des fois rare fois, je ne partage pas ton opinion. Désolée!

Je me sens totalement anti-fashion en disant cela… mais l’id√©e de porter de grosses bottes quand tu es menue, je trouve que ca l’a un cot√© petit Poucet. Je les aimerais si elles √©taient moins massives.

Et puis, il y a aussi le fait que c’est trop facile de tomber dans le style punk, difficile donc de rester chic avec des bottes de ce genre. Ah si! …en les portant avec des v√™tements classiques aux couleurs neutres… mais l√† encore je me sentirais limit√©e par les possibilit√©s vestimentaires. Bref, je leur reproche leur manque de polyvalence.

Je n’ai pas vu les Saint-Laurent, peut-etre sont-elles plus f√©minines ou moins massives? Mais l√†, c’est : Non Garance n’ach√®te pas. √Ä moins que tu r√©ussis √† super bien les styliser et me prouver le contraire.

• Mary Hayes ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 11:32 / Reply

I love those too, but I gotta tell you I heard they are CRAZY uncomfortable and give everyone blisters – like Eva Chen has some and every time she wore them she posted how awful they were on Instagram!

• Barbara ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 11:35 / Reply

Elles sont tr√®s difficiles! Et la liste des questions montre qu’on est loin de l’aspiration aux articles essentiels… ou bien est-ce pass√©?

• Elise ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 11:42 / Reply

Ces chaussures sont ouf! C’est justement le fait qu’elles soient aussi massives qui leurs donne ce “truc”. Et puis √† moins de chausser du 42 et de porter des mom pants avec, on a forc√©ment l’air cool avec :) J’ai des cut-out boots depuis l’hiver dernier, je m’en lasse toujours pas!

• christine ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 11:44 / Reply

I somehow feel like a pair chunky boots is the way to update your wardrobe this winter or give it a bit of a twist or edge. I just tried on some COS boots earlier today and I am contemplating on some Chelsea Boots from Zara. But my legs are really thin especially around the ankles so I am not sure if these kind of shoes look ugly* in a cool way or just ugly ugly.

Anyway, I am curious what you end up with!

*Emily did a post about it over at ITG

• Emmanuellelila ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 11:53 / Reply

Moi, j adore les √©crase-merde (je ne sais pas o√ļ mettre le pluriel!)

Je possède trois paires de doc, des motardes, et j avoue avoir hésité sur des creepers : ce n est pas la chaussure en soi qui est belle mais l allure qu elle donne : cool, pointue, rock voire punk, j adore

Quant à savoir si ça t irait, si tu aimes, ça ne peut qu aller non ?

Merci pour ton blog, tes photos, ton humour, …

Emma

• Gigi ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 12:57 / Reply

Moi j’adore ces chaussures … sur les autres ;)
    Je les imagine lourdes et massives, j’ai peur de ne pas √™tre tr√®s √† l’aise moi qui marche vite avec l’impression de virevolter :) … J’aime sentir mes pieds l√©gers.
    Joli look mais pas pour moi.

Bises Garance

• Jessica ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 12:58 / Reply

Jolie tenue ! Et très joli carré :)

Les grosses chaussures par contre, tr√®s peu pour moi…

xx.

• ines ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 12:58 / Reply

trop mastoc OUAAAAIIII

restons feminine ;)

• Fashion Snag ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 1:01 / Reply

I don’t like those shoes at all. Too clunky. You might like them though!

• Hedwig ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 1:24 / Reply

I hate to be all negative, but the way I see it is that the shoes themselves may look good, but they’re not going to make you look good. And don’t take that personally, I just think that they are not going to make any woman look good. Or any man, for that matter!

• Laura ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 1:25 / Reply

Elles sont magnifiques ces boots, si tu as l’occasion de les acheter, n’h√©site pas! Elles sont mastoc, mais vu que tu as de belles jambes, elles vont t’aller √† merveille!

• Angelique Jennifer ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 1:32 / Reply

Love these boots, probably would buy them if I could afford them. Although they don’t suit everyone…You have a great style Garance, but I don’t really think they’d suit you.

• ALLISON ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 1:44 / Reply

Who makes her bag?

• Biancamaria ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 1:47 / Reply

Honestly I don’t like boots, I think that they just hide one of the best part of a girl: the ankle!!!

http:// whiteindoor.blogspot.com

• natacha ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 1:49 / Reply

j adoooore les écrase-merdes !!! par contre les Balenciaga je suis pas fan !!!ann demeulemeester /fiorentini backer/burberry ou les boots 3 boucles de chez strategia sont super belles et pas chères (sur basalt.fr)
    et question confort c est le top …j admire ces filles qui portent des talons vertigineux !je crois que j ai pass√© l √Ęge de me faire souffrir ( 43 ans et des pieds qui ne supportent plus de souffrir non plus ) ce genre de boots c est top avec un un slim ou un pantalon en cuir et √ßa donne l impression d avoir des jambes toutes fines !!!

• sev ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 1:51 / Reply

C’est vrai que c’est assez tentant (confort, pouvoir) mais
    * c’est tr√®s 90s (on l’a d√©j√† v√©cu y’a pas si longtemps quoi, √† l’√©poque o√Ļ on (je) cherchait (s) son (mon) style quoi)
    * c’est pas si √©vident √† porter sans faire tr√®s masculine

• Mafalda ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 1:53 / Reply

Je les ai franchement d√©test√©es au d√©part, je les trouv√©es affreuses, et puis √† force de les voir, je m’y suis habitu√©e et je les trouve belles lorsqu’elles sont port√©es avec style… Par contre, pour avoir port√© longtemps des “√©crases-merdes” quand j’√©tais jeune, je passerai mon tour, je trouve qu’il faut √™tre jeune et avoir de longues jambes pour les porter.
    Mafalda ?

• Virginie/Mode9 ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 1:53 / Reply

C’est fou parce que je viens de faire un post aujourd’hui m√™me l√†-dessus et moi aussi je sens que je vais craquer pour les Balenciaga :-))

• E. ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 2:21 / Reply

Not for me…

• Andr√©a ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 2:23 / Reply

Franchement Garance, les Balenciaga sont parfaites, ça fait des années que je trouve ces chaussures magnifiques donc tu peux craquer je pense!!! Si je pouvais je le ferai de suite!

• Lison ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 3:15 / Reply

C’est vrai qu’elle a un style sympa. Sinon Garance, je voulais te dire, quand tu liras ce magazine entre deux num√©ros de Septembre sache que j’adore comment tu √©cris tes articles!
    xx http://wildlysweet.blogspot.fr

• princessglee ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 3:51 / Reply

Literally and figuratively too heavy.

• Pilar Garcia ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 3:56 / Reply

HAY!!! la hemos pillado atendiendo su cabello . Los botines son un valor a√Īadido.
    Un beso.
    Pilar

• Marin ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 4:10 / Reply

Arggh I think they’re hideous. If they speak to you, BUY THEM! Sometimes ugly has its place in fashion. It can be refreshing. But if their allure for you lies in their popularity alone… meh. Pass.

• Alex ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 4:15 / Reply

…trop mastoc, mais oui pour les Saint Laurent!!!

• juli ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 4:28 / Reply

Balance, balance, balance — these are fun on her but any heavier and they might not…

I prefer the old original 80′s look to these trendy boots. That original look is alive and well and LOTS less expensive at John Fluevog.

J

• Maa ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 5:23 / Reply

Effettivament : trop.

• Ellen ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 5:50 / Reply

J’aime tout, sa coupe de cheveux, sa chemis (j’adore), son sac, mais je ne suis absolument pas fan de ces chaussures, d√©sol√©e …

• Anastasia Solovieva ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 6:24 / Reply

Love the photo!
    Is it HVW8 gallery in LA?
    a x

• nomnom ‚óŹ August, 22 2013, 10:11 / Reply

She looks bloody fantastic to me. My boots, Topshop’s ‘Arabella’, carry less amo but they pack just enough man repelling weight and force to propel this 54 year old into an anti osteoporotic orbit. I’m anchored here. Fashionably. Never fear if you pass up the opportunity now, G. they’ll return in time for your fifties. And they’ll still work, inexplicably.

• Blaise ‚óŹ August, 23 2013, 12:18 / Reply

DM’s for boots. Those Balenciagas look heavy.

• Abi ‚óŹ August, 23 2013, 5:28 / Reply

Coucou Garance.
    Ce genre de chaussures me font faire un bon en arrière 15 ans.
    Me voici au lyc√©e entra√ģne de ricaner sur ce style : √©cras√© merde , noir corbeau et anarchisme.
    Et nous voici aujourd’hui √† h√©siter √† en porter.
    Comme quoi…

• Eva ‚óŹ August, 23 2013, 5:42 / Reply

Son look est en effet parfait ! Et ses boots… Que dire de plus ? Ca d√©pend comment tu les porteras mais je pense qu’elles t’iraient tr√®s bien sur un tailleur :)

Eva.

• Andrea ‚óŹ August, 23 2013, 9:55 / Reply

Ces boots, Rumi les a depuis pas mal de temps et √ßa lui va super bien. Ca d√©pend du style de la fille. Personnellement je fais de plus en plus attention au poids de ce que je mets √† mes pieds….Dans ce cas pr√©cis j’ai un peu peur que cela rel√®ve de la cat√©gorie: fitness…+ d’apr√®s les commentaires qu’avait fait Rumi au d√©but, le cuir est assez rigide, donc il faut du temps pour le casser.
    J’ai ces boots Sergio Rossi depuis une √©ternit√© et c’est dingue qu’elles soient tujours √† la mode en tout cas elles font encore l’affaire:

• Jen ‚óŹ August, 23 2013, 1:08 / Reply

I love a big shoe, particularly when wearing a lot of volume on top – I’m petite, and find that platforms definitely help balance things (and are super-comfortable for walking around New York, besides; it’s the end of the season, and my feet are so tired of thin sandals!). I’d typically go for something with less “hardware,” but I love them here as everything else is so light and simple. xo

• T ‚óŹ August, 23 2013, 11:03 / Reply

Beautiful! A modern look. Heathermary always looks so stylish!

• Ai-Ch'ng ‚óŹ August, 24 2013, 7:21 / Reply

I love how she looks! Only, having tried the same boots on a few times, I also wonder if her feet are comfortable in them.

However, for me – I prefer the double and triple buckle Baker+Fiorentini combat boots, and Guidi’s horse leather lace-up combat style boots.

When I tried the Balenciaga ones on, I found the leather simply wasn’t anywhere as supple or comfortable to wear as the aforementioned two boot brands. They hurt and grazed my heels and ankles with the hardness of the leather, which I found more plastic-like than luxurious.

Even padding my feet with a thick pair of socks, I could still feel all the ridges and joins of the shoe, and the toes were just way too hard to make walking long distances comfortable for me (I know – many will cry out, “but it’s a high-end designer shoe – why would you walk in it for long distances?”. My response : “It’s a SHOE, at the end of the day, and a semi-combat boot at that – so I expect to be comfortable in it regardless”).

The Balenciga buckle boots also such a notable design, that I feel the shoe tends to wear the wearer – rather than the other way around…. and in that regard, you are definitely limited in what you can wear with them. With a normal combat boot, in baggy jeans, you’d look like you just don’t care and need to walk safely for long distances, and it still looks nice.

On the other hand, the Balanciaga boots baggy jeans look like you’re referencing one of the charmingly chisel-faced blonde twins from the long-ago boy-band, Bros!

When it comes to apparel, my mantra is “Comfort above all else”. And, if it also happens to looks good, bingo! While that is not at all “fashiony” or design-minded, being comfortable in what you wear is one of the most attractive things to see in someone, because they are always smiling then.

• nadjet ‚óŹ August, 25 2013, 5:14 / Reply

j’adore ces chaussures et chez moi on appelle √ßa des “coltranes” !

• ladyofletters ‚óŹ August, 25 2013, 6:13 / Reply

Fine for any waif over 5.10, awful for the rest…

• Susan ‚óŹ August, 26 2013, 6:27 / Reply

I have those boots and they are worth it. They’ll take about 4 weeks to break in until they are comfortable, but I think that is a small price to pay for them. I don’t find them very heavy, they feel just like wearing any other pair of ankle boots.

• amy ‚óŹ August, 26 2013, 10:51 / Reply

The first time I saw these boots I went crazy for them – had to have them. It took me months to track them down but finally I did – and now that I’ve had them for almost a year, it’s clear to me they have, and will, stand the test of time. Not just a trend – whatever anyone thinks about them, to me they are the coolest – but classic in their own way.

• Marina ‚óŹ August, 27 2013, 3:58 / Reply

Non non, non, pas les pompes, vraiment, ne fais pas ca!

• Marie ‚óŹ August, 31 2013, 2:15 / Reply

Moi je les trouve cool, j’adore l’ensemble. N√©anmoins, ces chaussures ne sont pas pour moi, √ßa ne le ferait pas. Il y a vraiment un type de fille (comme ta pote, je n’arrive pas √† identifier toutes les caract√©ristiques) sur qui je trouve √ßa ultra top et sur toutes les autres c’est juste √©crase merde, ou du moins pas classe.