ball-pages-saraperringerard-departement-feminin_garance-dore_1

Three years ago, I was walking in the streets of Toulouse with my friend, Carole, the owner of the shop Département Féminin, and we ran into Gemma. (It’s funny how I can point back to everything I’ve done and seen through the blog, right?) As I often do when someone catches my eye in the street, I went straight over to her, we took some photos, and ended up getting coffee and becoming friends.

And Carole and Gemma, who both live in Toulouse, also became great friends.

Gemma is Spanish and she spends her vacations in Ibiza. That’s where she discovered these espadrilles that she’s been wearing for years. They’re straight out of the traditional costume worn in the Ball Pagès, a traditional dance in Ibiza. She and Carole decided that the espadrilles needed to have a life outside of the borders of the island, so they got involved with artisans in Ibiza (everything is done by hand) so that more people would know about them. Cool, right?

Ball Pagès Espadrilles Photo

And on top of all of that, they decided to photograph our friend Lolita wearing them.
It’s funny and lovely how all these friends have come together.

So anyway, I adore these espadrilles — I still remember the day we had a big debate about them (I didn’t count the votes at the time, but I remember being pretty much against them). After that, because of Chanel (aaargh, the things snobbery will do to us) I fell for them.

Lolita Jacobs Photo

And ever since, it’s all espadrilles all the time (well, in a manner of speaking) — I’ve got three pairs, one gold pair that I love — but I admit I have a real weakness for the Ball Pagès ones because they’re incredibly delicate.

Between my espadrilles, Birkenstocks, and Havaïanas, I’m going to end up spending the whole summer wearing things on my feet that I always swore never to wear!

• On Point
    On Point
  • Lisa in Clinton Hill
    Lisa in Clinton Hill
  • Boys Side
    Boys Side
  • Wrapped Up
    Wrapped Up

• Isaure May, 19 2014, 9:30 / Reply

Ravissantes !
    Mais 200,00 € ??!!!
    Vilaine Garance ! Vilaine !

• Le monde des petites May, 19 2014, 9:30

Gorgeous shoes!!! Love it!!! <3
    So stylish!!!

Xoxo

Le monde des petites

• James Pouliot May, 19 2014, 9:30

C’est pas si cher.

• Belén May, 19 2014, 9:30

oui, suupercher

• andreea May, 19 2014, 9:30

if those are expensive, we can find cheaper ones! :)

• agatha May, 19 2014, 9:32 / Reply

…elles me plaisent, mais le prix….:-(

• Albertine May, 19 2014, 9:43 / Reply

Tres jolies! Mais le prix est un peux haut!

• 40 and so what May, 19 2014, 9:47 / Reply

Soyons folles, portons des espadrilles ! Mais je n’aime que les vraies, les pures, celles qui viennent du pays basque ! Chaque année, je remplis mon stock avec de nouveaux imprimés :-)

• Happy Arli May, 19 2014, 9:49 / Reply

C’est une très chouette histoire…ce sont souvent les rencontres inattendues qui créent les plus beaux résultats :-)

• GapToothedGirl May, 19 2014, 9:55 / Reply

They’re super cool!!
    Love them!!
    xox, Gap.

• matchingpoints May, 19 2014, 9:57 / Reply

Nous préférons de loin les espadrilles, mais vu leur prix et la solidité…il va falloir trouver autre chose parce que les Birkenstock, non merci !

• Jo May, 19 2014, 10:12 / Reply

Ahh.. Jolies mais le prix.. :-/

• ema May, 19 2014, 10:15 / Reply

Oups, c’est pour des princesses au petit pois, un truc si fragile et si cher (où se niche le luxe, hein…)

• ALICIA May, 19 2014, 10:26 / Reply

for inspiration, http://www.ball-pages.com

• Elisa May, 19 2014, 10:31 / Reply

Simply amazing!!

xx Elisa – My Fantabulous World

• T K Park May, 19 2014, 10:33 / Reply

I just laughed out loud! I both love it and hate it when I say I’ll never wear something and then later I do. It doesn’t happen too often but when it does I usually tell everyone about it! and about Birkenstocks…I foot model for my friend when she goes on shoe buying trips to NY (she owns a shoe store) and a bit ago we were with the rep from Birkenstock putting together an order.(they have upped their style game a bit in recent years) My friend was teasing me because she knows I made fun of them all the time and now I was gong to have to try on 20 or 30 different ones for her to photograph. Well when I put the first one on and walked around I actually yelled out loud “Oh My God… I have to get a pair of these right now! My friend actually fell off the seat laughing. And for days after I was telling everyone about how I couldn’t believe I wanted birks.

• Sandra May, 19 2014, 10:50 / Reply

things happen for a reason , dont they? this post wouldnt come to life if it wasn’t for Gemma ;) (probably) anyhow – i had pretty similar moments in my life where I thought I wont buy or I wont wear and then I ended up wearing. Loving? maybe not so much… but it’s good to kind of put yourself in a different mode-it’s a bit of a game this life :)

Best wishes ,

Sandra from http://www.chicplaisir.com

• Rosa May, 19 2014, 10:52 / Reply

Très jolies, mais aussi trop chères!

PD: Le nom de l’île est Eivissa, Ibiza n’est que le nom en espagnol.

• veronica May, 19 2014, 10:53 / Reply

I love them!
    Kiss!
    Passa a trovarmi VeryFP

• AA May, 19 2014, 10:56 / Reply

C’est une rigolade le prix!!!! Complétement démesuré pour une paire d’espadrille vendue 50 euros à Ibiza!

• Eva May, 19 2014, 11:23 / Reply

What a lovely story. It’s funny how big companies like Chanel can give the popularity of an item a boost. Like in this case Chanel did with these espadrilles. They are truly amazing! xx

• swingsnowman May, 19 2014, 11:26 / Reply

Love the espadrilles, Birkenstocks as well. These are the must items for summer for sure!!!!!!!!!!
    Love the photo on heading, especially the lighting effect.

• Isa May, 19 2014, 11:28 / Reply

Quelle sublime photo !

• Laëti May, 19 2014, 11:30 / Reply

Salut,

J’aime beaucoup.
    À bientôt !

Laëti

• Mattea May, 19 2014, 11:43 / Reply

AH! These! I love flat espadrilles and feel they are perfect for the beach or the city come summer. They match perfectly with all summer uniforms! They’re also really inexpensive, so owning multiple pairs and not having to worry about them is a huge plus. While I love well-made sandals, I can’t wear them everyday without them getting beat up and such, and feel it’s not worth the cost. Long live espadrilles!

• paule de 1000 lieux May, 19 2014, 12:48 / Reply

Ah… on en est toute là!
    En revanche, ce matin mon fils est parti à l’école avec des Rivieras…et je crois qu’il a passé une dure journée! “Et pourquoi t’es à l’école en chaussons??? A moi de répondre: Et pourquoi toi, tu es à l’école en Pijama? Bah quoi je hais les Jogging.. (et les enfants des autres ;-) )

• Jeanne May, 19 2014, 1:24 / Reply

J’aime les jolies histoires de chaussures! ;)
    XO
    Jeanne

• Love Deco Design May, 19 2014, 1:54 / Reply

Elles sont plutôt cool, mais pour moi, les espadrilles c’est un truc de vacances que je paie pas cher car je suis presque sûre de les bousiller en 15 jours.

• Sevan May, 19 2014, 2:18 / Reply

Je suis en admiration devant les photos, surtout la premiere !

• sasou May, 19 2014, 2:49 / Reply

comme quoi il ne faut jamais dire Jamais ;) en tout cas voilà tes petons parés pour cet été ;) Belle soirée ?

• The Slow Pace May, 19 2014, 3:18 / Reply

We are off to Ibiza in a couple of days and we will be there for two weeks!!! Yayyyyyy!!! But not party, just a little house in the countryside. Random comment, but hey, espadrilles come from Ibiza, no?
    And by the way, I wear soooooo many things that I swore never to wear that I just don’t surprise myself anymore. I just think, oh well… and wear them anyway.
    ;)
    xx,
    E.

• anita May, 19 2014, 3:18 / Reply

Elles sont superbes, et vive l’artisanat local. En revanche leur prix démesuré gâche un peu la belle histoire

• Belén May, 19 2014, 3:18

Démessure beaucoup!!

à l’ile sont 6 fois plus economique!!

• Karine May, 19 2014, 4:34 / Reply

Ces sandales sont justes parfaites. Belles, pures, précieuses et puis, l’artisanat mérite ce prix. Faire vivre la tradition, valoriser le “fait main”, ramener à la vie des classiques endormis, c’est toujours remarquable.
    Bravo Ball Pagès

• Yasmine May, 19 2014, 5:27 / Reply

Moi aussi je m’ etais jure de ne pas porter d’ espadrilles…avant d’ en trouver au supermarche du coin pendant mes vacances en France l’ ete dernier et ce pour moins de 20 euros. Ceci dit, celles – ci sont tres belles.

• Viv May, 19 2014, 7:39 / Reply

Also, love the fluro yellow ones you posted of you wearing in Bali… those were coolio

• holly May, 19 2014, 9:53 / Reply

actually… I’ve fallen for that dress!!
    (though given the usually ‘elevated’ price range I daren’t even ask where its from :D)

• DeniseX May, 19 2014, 10:06 / Reply

Yes, it is hard not to agree with Chanel. Anyway those espadrilles look super comfy and I think it would make outfit looks “expensive”.

• Alix May, 19 2014, 11:05 / Reply

Ca sent l’ete ces belles espadrilles! C’est simple chaque été je m’en achète une paire, plates, a talons, silver ou violet…. Les espadrilles c’est un vrai lifestyle!
    Celles ci sont magnifiques et me rappellent Tamariu un petit port de peche près de Barcelone…
    Merci pour cette petite pose souvenir!
    Alix

• Karine May, 20 2014, 4:26 / Reply

J’aime beaucoup ces espadrilles, en général je les préfère compensées, mais celles-ci sont vraiment magnifiques… J’espère juste qu’elles sont assez solides pour durer un peu dans le temps. C’est marrant, j’ai l’impression que même dans le monde de la mode, on revient à un artisanat, un naturel, un savoir faire… Une prise de conscience écolo ? Une envie de faire bouger les lignes ? Ou c’est juste que l’été arrive à grands pas et qu’on a envie de plus de simplicité, d’ un look plage plus décontracté ? En tout cas, c’est vraiment mon style et j’adhère à 100%.

Karine

• Zoe May, 20 2014, 5:05 / Reply

Je n’aime pas les espadrilles plats, mais les espadrilles compensées son pratiques, confortables et un plus chics. Ça fait des anées que les porte, et je crois que je porterais toujous!

• Kelly May, 20 2014, 6:30 / Reply

I can totally relate – was not a fan until Chanel. Curse you Karl! :)

• Laura May, 20 2014, 7:29 / Reply

Merci Garance pour cette jolie découverte!
    Je viens de voir les chaussures en boutique, elles sont canons, et super confortables en plus!
    J’ai craqué pour le modèle Calada, après une longue hésitation avec les Home blanches (sur ta photo là haut).
    Et pour une fois que “fait main” rime avec artisanat et non pas avec “fait par les mains d’un petit enfant de 8 ans”, je suis bien contente de mon acquisition!

• Chris May, 20 2014, 2:51 / Reply

Vu le prix de ces charmantes espadrilles,je continuerai de me fournir auprès de la fabrique de ce si joli village perché à flanc de montagne de ma catalogne française. Autant faire tourner la production locale.

• Mili May, 21 2014, 5:28 / Reply

Ne jamais dire jamais est aussi valable en mode!

• berenice May, 23 2014, 2:30 / Reply

love them!!! just bought a pair of white one.. they are so confy and beautiful and special which make the shoes even nicer.. best pair of summer shoes
    can’t wait for the hot days to come..

• Bella May, 24 2014, 1:34 / Reply

Please remember us petite women who wear size 35 (5)! Every woman deserves beautiful shoes!

• Preet May, 30 2014, 8:09 / Reply

The Article is good but Shoes are the best part of it.!!

• Singh June, 3 2014, 3:18 / Reply

Love love love les espadrilles, elles sont tellement plus fines de ce qu’on voit d’habitude! Très belle photo de Lolita ;)